Distance between dates - in Balinese

• Thread starter BurtZ
  • Start date
In summary, the Balinese calendar system uses 1-5, 1-6, 1-7 digits to identify days of the year. The first digit identifies the month, the second digit identifies the day of the month, and the third digit identifies the year. Five-day weeks are identified by 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, and so on. Six-day weeks are identified by 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-6, and so on. Seven-day weeks are identified by 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-5, 1-4.
BurtZ
Homework Statement
In the Balinese calendar, to specify a day, it is sufficient to specify the position of the day in just the five, six, and seven day weeks. Thus, we specify a day by the notation (a_5,b_6,c_7) where a is a number from one to five, b is a number from one to six, and c is a number from one to seven. Find the minimum number of days between the day (2_5,3_6,5_7) and (5_5,2_6,4_7)
Relevant Equations
none, I think
I'm not sure how to solve this. I think that we can count - to get from 2_5 to 5_5 is 3_5 days. And to get from 3_6 to 2_6 is 5_6 days. From 5_7 to 4_7 is 6_7 days. But, how do I put this together to find the minimum number of days? Is it the lowest common multiple of 3,5, and 6? (Which is 30)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are five- , six-, seven- day weeks?

Likes Delta2
WWGD said:
Part of the Balinese system

WWGD said:
BurtZ said:
Part of the Balinese system

You're not going to make this easy, are you?

Vanadium 50 said:
You're not going to make this easy, are you?
I'm sorry! I would I just don't know how to do it...

Do you have a web link that explains how the balinese calendar system works? I can speak for my self but i don't understand it. Ok we need 3 digits (1-5,1-6,1-7) to identify a day of the year but i don't understand why is that. Gregorian Calendar uses 4 digits (2 for the day and 2 for the month) but we all understand how it works because it is the system used world wide.
Maybe it will be helpful for us to understand if you explain how for example the day 11/01 or 11 January (in our calendar) converts to the Balinese Calendar.

Likes WWGD
I think I (finally) understand what is meant. But I think the OP should be the one to do the explaining. Partly it's to help him learn how to answer ask (oops) a good question, and partly I suspect that if he does he will know how to proceed.

If he needs another hint, if today is (5,4,5) what day is tomorrow? Ans: (1,5,6). So what's the difference between (1,5,6) and (5,4,5)?

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
I think I (finally) understand what is meant. But I think the OP should be the one to do the explaining. Partly it's to help him learn how to answer a good question, and partly I suspect that if he does he will know how to proceed.

If he needs another hint, if today is (5,4,5) what day is tomorrow? Ans: (1,5,6). So what's the difference between (1,5,6) and (5,4,5)?
Thanks. I appreciate that feed back, and you are right. I did not get how the system works, but your extra hint helped me out.

There are calendar converters example:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/

google "calendar converter" and you will find a treasure trove of converters.

We cannot answer effectively questions for every calendar you care to work with.

I think the point is if you had 5-day weeks, then each day is numbered 1 through 5. I could tell you it's day 2, but that leaves a lot of days available still in the year.

If it was 6-day weeks, I could tell you it's day 6 of the week, and that leaves a lot of days in the year.

But if it's both day 2 of the 5-day week, and day 6 of the totally independently tracked 6-day week, the number of days in the year that match both of those is smaller. If you also specify what day in the 7-day week it is, then there are even fewer.

Likes BurtZ
I believe you are correct. And one implication is that days (1,2,3) and (1,2,4) appear to be near each other, but in fact are not.

1. What is the Balinese calendar system?

The Balinese calendar system is a traditional calendar used by the people of Bali, Indonesia. It is a lunar calendar based on the cycles of the moon and consists of 210 days in a year. It is also known as the Pawukon calendar.

2. How is the distance between dates calculated in Balinese?

The distance between dates in Balinese is calculated using a combination of lunar and solar cycles. Each month in the Balinese calendar is divided into weeks, with each week consisting of seven days. The distance between dates is then measured in terms of the number of weeks between them.

3. What are the names of the days in the Balinese calendar?

The days in the Balinese calendar are named after the Hindu deities and have different meanings. The names of the days are: 1. Anggara (Mars)2. Buda (Mercury)3. Wraspati (Jupiter)4. Sukra (Venus)5. Saniscara (Saturn)6. Redite (Sun)7. Soma (Moon)

4. Is the Balinese calendar used for religious purposes only?

No, the Balinese calendar is used for both religious and secular purposes. It is used to determine auspicious dates for important events such as weddings, house blessings, and temple ceremonies. It is also used for agricultural purposes to determine the best time for planting and harvesting.

5. How does the Balinese calendar compare to the Gregorian calendar?

The Balinese calendar is different from the Gregorian calendar in terms of the number of days in a year and the way dates are calculated. While the Gregorian calendar follows a solar system, the Balinese calendar is based on lunar and solar cycles. Additionally, the Balinese calendar has different names for the days and months compared to the Gregorian calendar.