Distance between moon and earth

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving a line between the Earth and Moon's centers of mass, a point where the gravitational force is 0, and the distance between the Earth and Moon. The equation F=GMm/r^2 is mentioned as a possible solution, but the person asking for help is looking for suggestions from others. The solution involves algebra and substitution of distances in the equation.
phinl

Homework Statement

I'm stuck at one of my homework questions.Basically,it says there is a line EM between the Earth's and moon's centre of masses.The moon revolves around the Earth in circular motion.Point X(somewhere in between moon and earth)represents a point where the resultant gravitational force is 0.Mass of moon/Mass of earth=0.012. Given distance EX is 3.4x10^8,determine distance of EM.

Sorry I can't show a diagram.

Homework Equations

F=GMm/r^2

I can only think of this.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's quite lengthy and after some time I realized it was wrong so I think it would be better if I just read some suggested solutions from you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The point X is at a distance from the centre of the Earth and at a distance from the centre of the Moon.
These 2 distances add up to the separation of the Earth and Moon.
Can you see it... it is an exercise in algebra and substitution of the appropriate distances in your equation.

1. What is the average distance between the moon and the earth?

The average distance between the moon and the earth is about 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers).

2. How does the distance between the moon and earth affect the tides?

The distance between the moon and earth directly affects the tides because the moon's gravitational pull on the earth causes the ocean's water to bulge, creating high and low tides. The closer the moon is to the earth, the stronger the gravitational pull, resulting in higher tides.

3. Does the distance between the moon and earth change?

Yes, the distance between the moon and earth does change. The moon's orbit around the earth is not a perfect circle, so the distance between the two bodies varies slightly throughout the month. However, the average distance between the two remains constant.

4. What is the closest distance the moon has been to the earth?

The closest distance the moon has been to the earth is approximately 225,622 miles (363,104 kilometers). This is known as a "supermoon" and occurs when the moon is at its closest point in its orbit to the earth.

5. How long does it take for the moon to orbit the earth?

It takes the moon approximately 27.3 days to orbit the earth. This is known as the sidereal month. However, due to the earth's rotation around the sun, it takes about 29.5 days for the moon to cycle through its phases, known as the synodic month.