Distance between point charges in equilibrium (simple)

In summary, the problem involves two fixed charges, +1.07 uC and -3.28 uC, placed 61.8 cm apart. The goal is to find the location of a third charge, q, where there is no net force acting on it. Using Coulomb's law, the attempt at a solution involved setting up an equation and solving for x, the distance between q2 and q. However, it was overlooked that the two forces act in opposite directions and the net force will be zero if the magnitudes of the forces are equal to each other. Therefore, the correct answer is obtained by placing q closer to the larger magnitude charge.
Mitocarta

Homework Statement

Two fixed charges, +1.07 uC and -3.28 uC, are 61.8 cm apart. Where may a third charge be located so that no net force acts on it?

Homework Equations

Coulombs law

The Attempt at a Solution

q1 = 1.07 uC
q2 = -3.28 uC
q3 = q

q1 ----- q2 ----- q

q1 and q2 are separated by 0.618 m and q2 and q are separated by x

Since the charges are in equilibrium,

0 = k (1.07E-6)(q) / (0.618+x)^2 + k(1.07E-6)(q) / (x)^2

factoring out and eliminating k and q,

(1.07E-6)/(0.618+x)^2 + (3.28E-6)/(x)^2 = 0

Solving for x gives me an imaginary distance. I feel like this is a very simple problem but I can't spot my error. What am I doing incorrectly? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Mitocarta, welcome to PF!

You've placed q closer to the larger magnitude charge. Is that going to work?

TSny said:
Hello Mitocarta, welcome to PF!

You've placed q closer to the larger magnitude charge. Is that going to work?

Thank you for replying. When I switch the charges,

(3.28E-6)/(0.618+x)^2 + (1.07E-6)/(x)^2 = 0

I still get an imaginary answer.
Edit: Is there a way to input math in an easier to read format on this forum?

The two forces act in opposite directions on q. The net force will be zero if the magnitudes of the forces are equal to each other.

TSny said:
The two forces act in opposite directions on q. The net force will be zero if the magnitudes of the forces are equal to each other.

Oh I was overlooking that! Thank you so much, got the correct answer.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in relation to point charges?

Equilibrium refers to a state where the electric forces acting on a point charge are balanced, resulting in a stable position.

2. How is the distance between point charges calculated in equilibrium?

The distance between point charges in equilibrium can be calculated using the Coulomb's Law equation, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Is the distance between point charges in equilibrium always the same?

No, the distance between point charges in equilibrium can vary depending on the magnitude of the charges and the medium they are placed in. It also depends on the direction of the electric field between the charges.

4. What factors affect the equilibrium distance between point charges?

The equilibrium distance between point charges is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the medium they are placed in, and the presence of other charges in the vicinity. It can also be influenced by external forces such as temperature and pressure.

5. Can the equilibrium distance between point charges be changed?

Yes, the equilibrium distance between point charges can be changed by altering the magnitude of the charges or by changing the medium they are placed in. The presence of other charges or external forces can also affect the equilibrium distance.