1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between surfaces in an assembly of sliding parts

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1
    I have been working on designing something in SolidWorks for the first time, which involves several parts with surfaces that slide into one another. I am wondering if there is a table or a standardization in terms of the distance that should be left between metal surfaces with sliding parts. I assume this depends on the type of metals and the tightness of the fit (I'm using copper parts, and the pieces should be able to easily slide in/out of one another). Obviously you can't have a metal piece you want to insert into another metal piece with the dimensions of the fit and fitting being exactly the same, it would be a very tight fit. Whether you should make an allowance 0.001 mm or 0.1 mm of space in your dimensions is beyond me though. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook