Distance From a Velocity-Time Graph

• Thread starter slag1928
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: For example, if the velocity was 3 m/s and the time stamp was 4 seconds, then the displacement would be 3 meters.
slag1928
I need to know how to determine distance from a velocity time graph. The graph lines are all linear with changes in direction and slope, but no curves.

I've tried finding the area under the lines but that doesn't seem to be it...

Physics news on Phys.org
slag1928 said:
I need to know how to determine distance from a velocity time graph. The graph lines are all linear with changes in direction and slope, but no curves.

I've tried finding the area under the lines but that doesn't seem to be it...

Velocity=distance/ time. multiply by the time stamp at whatever point you are on on the graph.

You know that Velocity is a change in position over change in time, correct?

Using that, you should be able to figure out the position. (At least, that's how I do it.)

What did you do when you tried finding the area under the graph?

completing each time increment as a triangle and using 1/2b*h.

slag1928 said:
completing each time increment as a triangle and using 1/2b*h.

Could you post a picture of the graph?

maybe, let me try

well uh no actually. idk how D: could i get an e-mail? i think i could e-mail it

it's #7 i need help with!

The blue graph right?

What ares did you use 1/2b * h on (what time)?

Last edited:
i posted a pdf of the question sheet. you can see the graph on the second page. I'm fairly sure i found the area correctly, but wouldn't that give me the displacement? and i need distance... look at number 7 on the pdf. please :/

What did you find for displacement?

i got -54

Okay, and for what parts did you use 1/2b*h?

because from times 1-3 seconds the line goes from 0 to -18, i did 1/2 the base (y axis time) plus the height of -18. this got -36.
time interval 3-4 seconds have a constant velocity of -18 m/s so i added -18 to the first -18 getting -36. then i found the are from 4-5 by multiplying 1/2 the base of 1 second, by the height of -9, getting an additonal -4.5. Sum of all these? -54!

i meant times the height! sorry I'm a confusing typer !

please ignore the first time i said "this got -36" its a typo...

slag1928 said:
because from times 1-3 seconds the line goes from 0 to -18, i did 1/2 the base (y axis time) plus the height of -18. this got -36.
time interval 3-4 seconds have a constant velocity of -18 m/s so i added -18 to the first -18 getting -36. then i found the are from 4-5 by multiplying 1/2 the base of 1 second, by the height of -9, getting an additonal -4.5. Sum of all these? -54!

You found the area for time 4-5s wrong.

SJXDh.png

You found the red part, but not the blue part. The blue part is a rectangle.

Also, I think for this problem you can assume displacement and distance are meant to be the same thing.

Last edited:

What is distance from a velocity-time graph?

Distance from a velocity-time graph is a measurement of the total length of the path traveled by an object over a certain period of time. It is represented by the area under the velocity-time curve on the graph.

How is distance calculated from a velocity-time graph?

Distance can be calculated from a velocity-time graph by finding the area under the curve. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes (rectangles, triangles, etc.) and calculating the area of each shape. Then, add all the areas together to get the total distance.

What does a positive distance on a velocity-time graph mean?

A positive distance on a velocity-time graph means that the object is moving away from its starting point. It represents the total displacement of the object over the given time interval.

Can distance be negative on a velocity-time graph?

Yes, distance can be negative on a velocity-time graph. This indicates that the object is moving towards its starting point or in the opposite direction of its initial motion. It can also represent the total displacement of the object if it changes direction during the given time interval.

How does acceleration affect the distance on a velocity-time graph?

Acceleration affects the distance on a velocity-time graph by changing the slope of the graph. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, resulting in a greater change in distance over time. A flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration, resulting in a slower change in distance over time.