1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance-function and velocity-function problem

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    The problem is three paragraphs with a bunch of blank spots.

Starting from f(0) = 0 at constant velocity v, the distance function is f(t) = __[A]__. When f(t) = 55t the velocity is v = ____. When f(t) = 55t + 1000 the velocity is still __[C]__ and the starting value is f(0) = __[D]__. In each case v is the __[E]__ of the graph of f. When __[F]__ is negative, the graph of __[G]__ goes downward. In that case area in the v-graph counts as __[H]__.

Forward motion from f(0) = 0 to f(2) = 10 has v = ____. Then backward motion to f(4) = 0 has v = __[J]__. The distance function is f(t) = 5t for 0 <= t <= 2 and then f(t) - __[K]__.

There's more to the problem than this, but [K] is where I get stuck, not understand the problem. My answers thus far are:
    [A] = vt, = 55, [C] = 55, [D] = 1000, [E] = slope, [F] = v, [G] = f, [H] = f, = 5, [J] = 0.

First, am I doing this correctly? And second, what precisely is K asking me for?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[J] is incorrect. The others are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook