1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance in time at acceleration

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    what is the formula to find the time it takes for an object to travel a distance at a certain acceleration from a certain initial velocity? I think i've figured out it without taking into account the initial v which would be t = squareroot( (d * 2) / a), i think.... but i'm not sure how to fit the initial velocity in there.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2
    Can you show some work?

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Start off with the equation [tex]d = d_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]. The equation you got would be valid for d0 = v0 = 0.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  5. Nov 2, 2006 #4
    radou i have no idea how to rearrange that formula, cyrusabdollahi, an example would be if a rocket is in space with the engine off traveling at 1000 m/s towards the sun and then turns the engine on and starts accelerating at 100 m/s/s in the same direction how long would it take to travel 1000 km towards the sun from when it starts accelerating.

6. Nov 2, 2006 #5
    What is your level of math?

7. Nov 2, 2006 #6
    level = low

8. Nov 2, 2006 #7
    anybody...

9. Nov 2, 2006 #8
    this works i dunno if it can be simplified any,

t = d / ((sqrt(pow(v0, 2) + 2 * a * d) + v0) / 2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?