Distance of a satellite from the earths surface.

  • Thread starter Thread starter pwphysics101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Satellite Surface
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
pwphysics101
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1. A television satellite is in circular orbit about the Earth, with a sidereal period of exactly 24h. What is the distance from the Earths surface?



2. I think I have to use Kepler's Laws. Confused as to how to do it without the mass of each. I guess I could find out the mass of the Earth but then..? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pwphysics101 said:
1. A television satellite is in circular orbit about the Earth, with a sidereal period of exactly 24h. What is the distance from the Earths surface?



2. I think I have to use Kepler's Laws. Confused as to how to do it without the mass of each. I guess I could find out the mass of the Earth but then..? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

GMm/r2 = ω2r

GM/r = ω2

You know G and M (or can look them up)

ω is the angular velocity. If the period is 24 hours then you know 24 hours is the amount of time it takes for the satellite to travel 2∏ radians. You should probably convert that into radians/sec