Distance travel given constant a

In summary: We know that it took 5.4s so we subtract 5.4s from 14.4s and we get 9s.So it took 9 seconds to travel 0.32km with an average acceleration of 3.086 m/s^2.In summary, a hot rod can accelerate from 0 to 60 km/h in 5.4 seconds with an average acceleration of 3.086 m/s^2. It will travel a distance of 45.006 meters during this time and would take 9 seconds to travel a distance of 0.32 km with the same acceleration.
angelcase
A hot rod can accelerate from 0 to 60 km/h in 5.4 s.
(a) What is its average acceleration, in m/s2, during this time?

(b) How far will it travel during the 5.4 s, assuming its acceleration is constant?

(c) How much time would it require to go a distance of 0.32 km if its acceleration could be maintained at the value in (a)?

for a, first I did a unit conversion for the speed:

60(1000/3600)= 16.667m/s=v

a=delta v/ delta t

a=16.667/5.4=3.086m/s^2

for b:

d=V^2/2a
d=(16.667)^2/2(3.086)=45.006m

for c:

I converted .32km to 320m.

a=3.086m/s^2 since it is constant...but I don't know what equation to use to determine the time to travel the distance.

I tried the values 19.19 and 10.18, both were wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) and (b) results are correct.

a=delta v/ delta t

a=16.667/5.4=3.086m/s^2

If you put it like that it seems that 16.667 is dv and 5.4 is dt. You can do that because you can also say this: [tex]a_{m}=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex] where [tex]\Delta[/tex] stands for increment, v for velocity and t for time. You can do this when the acceleration is constant.

For (c) just take the third kinematic equation.

Last edited:
Your formula in (b):
d=v^2 / (2a)

is equivalent to:

d=(a*t)^2 / (2a) = (a * t^2) / 2.
By the way, this I think is more commonly used.

Karmalo, what is the third kinematic equation?? I am horrible with physics and reading the book is doing no good...

[tex]X=X_{0}+V_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]
Have you ever used this one?

I don't know if I have...is x= to distance? In different books and sites they use different variable to represent distance, whether it be s, d or x.

if that is the case would I rearrange it to solve for t?

2(X-Xsub0)/(Vsub0+a)??

[tex]X[/tex] is the final position and [tex]X_{0}[/tex] is the initial position so you can say [tex]X-X_{0}[/tex] is the distance traveled.

You can work out the value of the time (t) from the equation.

Note: [tex]V_{0}[/tex] is the initial speed

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am doing this right.

I plugged in:

320-45-006=16.667t+ 1/2(3.086)t^2
for t I found it to be 3.886 then I added the 5.4sec already passed and got 9.286sec...does that sound correct, or am I not understanding.

So we have this: [tex] X=X_{0}+V_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2} [/tex]

We can pass [tex]X_{0}[/tex] to the left and we'd have [tex]X-X_{0}=V_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

The distance is 320m so [tex]X-X_{0}=320[/tex], we also know the initial speed is 0 so [tex]V_{0}=0[/tex] and the acceleration, which is 3,086 m/s^2

Now we just have to replace this values and we get this: [tex]320=0+\frac{1}{2}\cdot3,086t^{2}[/tex]

[tex]t=\pm\sqrt{\frac{2\cdot320}{3,086}}[/tex]

As time cannot be negative: [tex]t=14,4(s)[/tex]

1. What is the formula for calculating distance traveled given constant acceleration?

The formula for calculating distance traveled given constant acceleration (a) is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does changing the acceleration affect the distance traveled?

The distance traveled is directly proportional to the square of the acceleration. This means that increasing the acceleration will result in a greater distance traveled, while decreasing the acceleration will result in a smaller distance traveled.

3. What is the relationship between distance traveled and time with constant acceleration?

The distance traveled is directly proportional to the square of the time. This means that as time increases, the distance traveled will increase exponentially.

4. Can the distance traveled be negative with constant acceleration?

No, the distance traveled cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and only has magnitude, not direction. Therefore, it cannot be negative.

5. How does the initial velocity affect the distance traveled with constant acceleration?

The initial velocity does not have a direct effect on the distance traveled. However, it does affect the final velocity, which in turn affects the distance traveled. A higher initial velocity will result in a greater final velocity and a longer distance traveled.