Distance traveled when accelerateing

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for distance traveled per second when accelerating from 0 at 12m/s^2, using basic kinematics equations such as x=x_0+v_0t+1/2at^2 and v_f^2=v_0^2+2a{\Delta}x. The final velocity of 150m/s is achieved with an acceleration of 12.5m/s^2 across a distance of 1800m in 12 seconds. The conversation also includes an explanation of how to use these equations to find the distance traveled during the first and twelfth seconds, as well as addressing the issue of the car being stationary when it starts accelerating.
slpnsldr
Hey, my question is what would be the equation for figureing out distance traveled per second when accelerating from 0 at something like 12m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
What else do you know? Try basic kinematics equations such as:
[itex]
x=x_0+v_0t+\frac{at^2}{2}
[/itex]
[itex]
v_f^2=v_0^2+2a{\Delta}x
[/itex]

acceleration 12.5m/s2 across 1800m in 12 seconds. final velocity of 150m/s

Thanks for the reply jhae, but i can't read the equations you posted.. its just a black box. maybe because of my browser?

X = Xo + Vot + 1/2 at^2

Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(Xf-Xo)

Sorry for being a nuisance, but I am really new to all this, and I can't figure out how to use those equations.
Ill lay out what I've done so far, its all been very simple up until this last part.

Vehicle moving with uniform acceleration travels a distance of 1800m in 12 seconds, find the acceleration and distance traveled during the first and twelfth seconds.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]v=[tex]\Delta[/tex]d/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t =150m/s
a=[tex]\Delta[/tex]v/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t=12.5m/s^2

Now, I am lost. My trouble is I am not sure how to use your equations.. I am not looking for the answer but maybe just a little explanation of how to use those two equations? the first one especialy

Well, you need to find the distance traveled during the first second. So we need an equation that has the variables position acceleration and time which would be this...
X = Xo + Vot + 1/2 at^2
X=final position=what we want to find
Xo = initial position = 0
Vo=initial velocity=o
t=time=1
a=acceleration=12.5
So if we plug in everything we get x=6.25
Now we need to find the distance traveled in the 12th second. We can easily find that by subtracting how far the vehicle travels in 11s from how far it travels in 12s. Use the eq above.

X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2
=0+0x12+1/2(12.5x12^2)
=1/2 1800
=900

So this is saying that its postion in the 12th second is 900m? In the 12th second it should be 1800 meters, shouldn't it? Which is what we had before we divided. :confused: I am definatly doing something wrong lol

I also tried figuring out the velocity and position for each second, then plugging them in under Xo and Vo but it didn't work, the number was too high too fast

Is the car stationary when it starts accelerating?

yes.

So, I am pretty sure in order to figure out its position during each second its as simple as

x=at^2

This gives me 1800m in the 12th second.
I subtract second 12(1800m) from second 11(1512.5) and get 287.5m as the distance traveled in the 12th second.

1. How does acceleration affect the distance traveled?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. This means that the faster an object accelerates, the greater the change in its velocity. As a result, the distance traveled will also increase.

2. Does the mass of an object affect the distance traveled when accelerating?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect the distance traveled when accelerating. Objects with larger masses require more force to accelerate, so they will not travel as far as objects with smaller masses when experiencing the same amount of acceleration.

3. Is there a limit to how far an object can travel when accelerating?

There is no theoretical limit to how far an object can travel when accelerating. However, the distance traveled will depend on factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How does friction impact the distance traveled when accelerating?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it can decrease the distance traveled when accelerating. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down and reducing the overall distance traveled.

5. Can an object travel a greater distance when accelerating in a vacuum compared to air?

Yes, an object can travel a greater distance when accelerating in a vacuum compared to air. This is because there is less resistance in a vacuum, so the object can travel further with the same amount of force and acceleration. In air, the object would experience air resistance, which would decrease the distance traveled.