Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence in spherical coordinates

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    I am stuck on this problem.

Use these equations:

[tex]\textbf{v}(\textbf{r}) = f(r)\textbf{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

And the chain rule for differentiation, show that:

[tex](\nabla\cdot\textbf{v}) = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr}[/tex]
    (cylindrical coordinates)

Any help greatly appreciated, I will post my progres so far in a following post.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2
    So far I have tried to crack this by subbing in

[tex]\textbf{v}(\textbf{r}) = f(r)\textbf{r}[/tex]

in the bottom equation I get:

[tex](\nabla\cdot f(r)\textbf{r}) = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr}[/tex]

But I think that if we write out the left hand side of the equation and separate out the differentials we get this:

[tex](\nabla\cdot f(r)\textbf{r}) = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + f(r)\frac{\partial r_{x}}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y} + f(r)\frac{\partial r_{y}}{\partial y}[/tex]

Which I think reduces further to:

[tex](\nabla\cdot f(r)\textbf{r}) = 2f(r) + r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y} = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr}[/tex]

Which IF that is right (and it's a big IF) basically means that I'm left to prove that:

[tex]r\frac{df}{dr} = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}[/tex]

That's where I'm stuck. I have a feeling that the total derivative is needed next and I am thinking along those lines, I still haven't used the chain rule yet so I think that will come in to play in the total derivative context. It could well be that I've strayed off and am heading nowhere with this, which is why I need a bit of guidance.

Thanks

4. May 13, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you know, or can prove, that for scalar f and vector V in rectangular coordinates,

[tex]\nabla\cdot f\vec V = \nabla f \cdot \vec V + f(\nabla \cdot\vec V)[/tex]

Also, I assume the standard notation

[tex]\vec r = \langle x, y \rangle,\ r = |\vec r|[/tex]

Then by the first identity

[tex]\nabla\cdot f(r)\vec r = \nabla f(r) \cdot \vec r + f(r)(\nabla \cdot \vec r)[/tex]

The only place you need the chain rule is to calculate the first term on the right.

[Edit] Corrected typos.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. May 14, 2010 #4
    Thank you for your reply.

If I understand you correctly then I have more or less followed your reasoning thus far.

I am stuck on the bit you mention in your last line, I am struggling to calculate the first term on the right.

The way I see it is that

[tex]\nabla f(r) \cdot \vec r = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}[/tex]

Is that correct?

That's my last line in my earlier post. How do I invoke the chain rule here to get this into the form I am after?

Thanks

6. May 14, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you differentiate f(r) with respect to, for example, x, you get f'(r)rx. And do the dot product last.

7. May 16, 2010 #6
    Okay, I think I've got it now.

Use the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} = \frac{df}{dr}\times \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} [/tex]

And the result:

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

To get:

[tex]r\frac{df}{dr} = r_{x}\frac{df}{dr}\frac{x}{r} + r_{y}\frac{df}{dr}\frac{y}{r}[/tex]

Now rx=x. Use this result as well as the fact that in cylindrical coordinates r2 = x2+y2,and the term on the right reduces to the term on the left. Is this OK?

Cheers

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. May 16, 2010 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I think you have it figured out now.

9. May 17, 2010 #8
    Ahhh good. For some reason that one had me scratching my head for a while, but it seems quite simple now.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook