Diverging and Converging lenses in a system

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the final position and size of the image of an object using the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. The individual has successfully solved the first distance but is having trouble determining the "do" in the second calculation. They also mention the need to consider the second lens and the confusion about the location of the image. It is suggested to use the result of both lenses together and be careful about which distances to use.
DrewHizzy

Homework Statement

A)Find the final position of the image (from the object, I assume?)
B)Find the size of the final image of the object.

NMS7BUK.jpg

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Solved first distance: 1/5 - 1/4 = 1/di --> 4/20 - 5/20, di = -20cm
2) Use di1 for do in second calculation, but my answer is incorrect.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you take the second lense into account?

mfb said:
Where did you take the second lense into account?
That's what I'm having trouble determining; what do I use for "do" in my second calculation?

The distance between the (virtual) image and the lense. Where in the sketch is this image?

mfb said:
The distance between the (virtual) image and the lense. Where in the sketch is this image?
if di1 = -20cm, doesn't that place it behind the concave lens?

mfb said:
What is "behind", left or right?
If I had to guess I'd say to the right of Lens 2

DrewHizzy said:
If I had to guess I'd say to the right of Lens 2
Again, this is the piece I do not understand.

mfb said:
What is "behind", left or right?
I answered Part A correctly with 9.6cm, hi/ho = di/do for part B? Do I make two calculations like Part A?

For B, I think you don't have to consider the lenses separately (but it is possible) as you know the result of both together already. You just have to be careful which distances to use.

1. What is the difference between a diverging and converging lens?

A diverging lens is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to spread out or diverge. On the other hand, a converging lens is thicker at the center and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to come together or converge.

2. How does a diverging lens affect the path of light rays?

A diverging lens causes light rays to spread out or diverge, making objects appear smaller and more distant than they actually are. This type of lens is used in glasses for nearsightedness.

3. What is the focal length of a converging lens?

The focal length of a converging lens is the distance from the center of the lens to the point where parallel light rays converge. It is usually measured in meters or centimeters.

4. How does a converging lens form an image?

A converging lens bends light rays so that they converge at a specific point, forming a real or virtual image. The size and position of the image depend on the distance of the object from the lens and the focal length of the lens.

5. How are diverging and converging lenses used in optical systems?

Diverging and converging lenses are used in combination to correct visual impairments and create magnifying or reducing systems. They are also used in cameras, telescopes, and other optical instruments to focus light and form images.