Concave mirror reflection, problems with drawing setup

radish
Homework Statement
I had a homework where a concave mirror with a focal point of -4 centimeters had an object away from it by 5 centimeters (1 cm after the focal point). I decided to solve the problem by drawing it this time and not by using the equations and its giving me a different answer than the equations.
Relevant Equations
1/f=1/Di+1/Do
f= focal point
Di= distance of image
Do= distance of object
1/f = 1/Di + 1/Do
1/Di = 1/f - 1/Do
1/Di = 1/4 - 1/5
1/Di = 1/20
Di = 20 cm
In my drawing i had a focal point of 4 so a center of circumference of 8 and I had an object with a height of 1 cm placed 1 cm after the focal point, so 5 cm, away from the mirror. The distance of the image that i could measure was about 17.3 cm. Am i doing anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you attach your drawing?

Gordianus said:
Can you attach your drawing?
alright sure.
the closest line to the mirror is the point of convergence, the second line is the object, my lines pass by the focal point and the center of circumference. the point of convergence where the two lines going from the object meet is about 17.3 cm even tho its supposed to be 20cm. thank you for answering.

Attachments

• IMG-5108.jpg
    IMG-5108.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 31
My eyes are too old and I can't see the mirror, the optical axis, the focal point and so on. Can you post a better drawing?

Hope this helps.
IMG-5115.jpg

radish said:
Homework Statement: I had a homework where a concave mirror with a focal point of -4 centimeters had an object away from it by 5 centimeters (1 cm after the focal point). I decided to solve the problem ...

Am i doing anything wrong

Difficult to say if you don't give us the complete problem statement. What is it asking for ?
And you also don't tell us what you are doing: what is CC ?and what is the text (in arabic?)
1698138976437.png
doing in the picture ?

[edit] :welcome: !

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

##\ ##

1. What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror with a reflective surface that curves inward, like the inside of a bowl. It is also known as a converging mirror because it causes parallel light rays to converge or come together at a focal point.

2. How does a concave mirror reflect light?

When light rays hit a concave mirror, they are reflected in a way that follows the law of reflection. This means that the angle of incidence (the angle between the incident ray and the normal line) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle between the reflected ray and the normal line).

3. What is the focal point of a concave mirror?

The focal point of a concave mirror is the point at which parallel light rays converge after being reflected. It is located halfway between the center of curvature (the center of the mirror's curvature) and the mirror's surface.

4. What are some common problems with drawing a setup for a concave mirror?

One common problem is drawing the incident rays incorrectly. They should be drawn parallel to each other before hitting the mirror, and then they should reflect towards the focal point. Another problem is not labeling the focal point and center of curvature clearly on the diagram.

5. How can I use a concave mirror to create an image?

A concave mirror can create both real and virtual images. A real image is formed when the reflected rays actually converge at a point, and it can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when the reflected rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror, and it cannot be projected onto a screen.