Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divide number into 3 parts with each part being 1.6 times greater than the last

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    A friend posed this just for fun but now its really annoying me.

how do you divide 90 into three parts so that each part is 1.6 times greater than the last.
    i.e: the second value should be 1.6 times greater than the first and the third value should be 1.6 times greater than the second?

Im confusing myself with this.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Hi CF.Gauss. Just write it as [itex]x + 1.6 x + 1.6^2 x = 90[/itex] and then factorize out the "x" and simplify.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hm ... I thought the goal here was to help people think and understand things, not spoon-feed them answers. Have I got that wrong?

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Actually I did not give the answer, I left the factorizing and the following arithmetic for the OP to do. This is in effect the first line of what probably be a three line derivation for the OP.

I agree though that it does give away a large part of the overall solution. Sometimes with such a simple question it's hard to know how to give the OP a "start" without giving away too much. :smile:

BTW. To me this looked more like a curiosity question than homework anyway, though of course I don't know that for sure.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. Sep 6, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, I can't argue w/ that. Still, I was going to try to lead him to an equation rather than give it to him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook