Dividing 6x^4 - 3x^3 + 5x^2 + 2x - 6 by 3x^2 - 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lucretius
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Division
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Lucretius
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if you could help me out with this problem. Please explain how to solve using synthetic division. I need to know how to solve it.

[tex]\frac{6x^4-3x^3+5x^2+2x-6}{3x^2-2}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]2x^2-x+3[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
What is synthetic division and through what is it different from normal division?

Daniel.

Synthetic Division is described here. It's a faster way of doing polynomial division.
 
dextercioby said:
AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaah,i knew it under the name "Schema lui Horner" (Horner's trick).Well,wasn't that Wiki page clear??

Daniel.

This is actually a homework problem my sister posted (shes in alg/trig). What she is getting stuck on is the fact that the bottom is not [itex]x-r[/itex], but [itex]x^2-r[/itex] I haven't done it in a long time so I can't really help her with it.
 
It doesn't work,i'm afraid.You see,the denominator doesn't factor into monoms with integer ([itex]\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]) roots,so the "trick" is useless.U might read better the Wiki page,if u don't trust me.

Daniel.