P.S. I did it on paperPolynomial Division: 3x^3-5x^2+10x+4 / 3x+1

In summary, polynomial division is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial expression by another. The steps for polynomial division involve arranging the terms in descending order, dividing the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor, and repeating the process until all terms have been used. The dividend and divisor in the given problem are 3x^3-5x^2+10x+4 and 3x+1, respectively. To check if the answer is correct, the remainder theorem can be used. Polynomial division has various real-life applications, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is useful for solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding roots of equations.
eddievic

Homework Statement

Use polynomial long division to determine the quotient when

[itex]3x^3-5x^2+10x+4[/itex] divided by [itex]3x+1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment as I wasn't quite sure how to write my answer here
:shy:

Attachments

• 20130515100032980.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 205
Physics news on Phys.org
If A / B = C, then does that mean that A * C = B? That's what you have written at the bottom.

SteamKing said:
If A / B = C, then does that mean that A * C = B? That's what you have written at the bottom.

Oops should be

3x^3+5x^2+10x+4/3x+1=x^2-2x+4

I think..

What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial expression by another.

What are the steps for polynomial division?

The steps for polynomial division are: 1. Arrange the terms of the dividend and divisor in descending order of their exponents.2. If the degree of the divisor is greater than the degree of the dividend, the result is 0.3. Divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor and write the result as the first term of the quotient.4. Multiply the entire divisor by the first term of the quotient and subtract it from the dividend.5. Bring down the next term of the dividend and repeat the process until all terms have been used.6. The final result is the quotient with any remaining terms, if any, written as the remainder.

What is the dividend and divisor in the given polynomial division problem?

The dividend is 3x^3-5x^2+10x+4 and the divisor is 3x+1.

How do I know if my answer is correct in polynomial division?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the remainder theorem. The remainder should be equal to 0 if the division is done correctly.

Can polynomial division be used for real-life applications?

Yes, polynomial division has various real-life applications such as in engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding roots of equations.