Diving car down steep, slippery hill (work, gravity, friction)

In summary, a driver is driving an automobile down a slippery, steep hill. The car has a mass of 1700kg and is skidding at a constant speed for 10m. The angle of the slope of the hill is 25 degrees. The driver wants to know how much work gravity does on the car during the skid, as well as how much work friction does on the car. After using the equations ΣFx = 0, ΣFy = 0, W = FscosΘ, and W = FsΘ, it was determined that gravity does 7.06x104J of work on the car, while friction does -7.06x104J of work. The
Jim01

Homework Statement

Driving an automobile down a slippery, steep hill, a driver brakes and skids at a constant speed for 10m. If the automobile mass is 1700kg and the angle of the slope of the hill is 25 degrees, how much work does gravity do on the car during the skid? How much work does friction do on the car?

Homework Equations

ΣFx = 0

Wx = -mgsinΘ
Ff = ?

Ff - Wx = 0

ΣFy = 0

Wy = -mgcosΘ
N = mgcosΘ

N - Wy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Ff - Wx = 0
Ff = Wx
Ff = -mgsinΘ
Ff = -(1700kg)(9.81m/s2)sin25°
Ff = -7.06x103N

It seems to me that if Ff is -7.06x103N then the gravitational pull down the hill would have to be an equal but opposite 7.06x103N, but I am unsure about this.

W = Fs cosΘ

Wg = 7.06x103N cos25° = 6.4x10 3J

Wf = -7.06x103N cos25° = 6.4x10 3J

I know that this is an incorrect answer, however, I am unsure of what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim01 said:

Homework Statement

Driving an automobile down a slippery, steep hill, a driver brakes and skids at a constant speed for 10m. If the automobile mass is 1700kg and the angle of the slope of the hill is 25 degrees, how much work does gravity do on the car during the skid? How much work does friction do on the car?

Homework Equations

ΣFx = 0

Wx = -mgsinΘ
Ff = ?

Ff - Wx = 0

ΣFy = 0

Wy = -mgcosΘ
N = mgcosΘ

N - Wy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Ff - Wx = 0
Ff = Wx
Ff = -mgsinΘ
Ff = -(1700kg)(9.81m/s2)sin25°
Ff = -7.06x103N

It seems to me that if Ff is -7.06x103N then the gravitational pull down the hill would have to be an equal but opposite 7.06x103N, but I am unsure about this.
You have correctly noted in your equations that since the car is moving at constant speed, then the sum of forces along the incline must be 0. So raise your hand if you're sure.
W = Fs cosΘ

Wg = 7.06x103N cos25° = 6.4x10 3J

Wf = -7.06x103N cos25° = 6.4x10 3J

I know that this is an incorrect answer, however, I am unsure of what to do.
What's the formula for work (your equations are incomplete)? Also, what is the value of theta to use in your equations for work?

PhanthomJay said:
You have correctly noted in your equations that since the car is moving at constant speed, then the sum of forces along the incline must be 0. So raise your hand if you're sure.What's the formula for work (your equations are incomplete)? Also, what is the value of theta to use in your equations for work?

I think I see my problem. I was thinking that since the car was going down a hill at at 25 degree angle that I would use the W = Fscos[tex]\theta[/tex] formula. However, after thinking about it, the force is parallel with the slope of the hill, so I should either use the W = Fx[tex]\Delta[/tex]x formula OR set [tex]\theta[/tex] to 0 instead of 25.

Jim01 said:
I think I see my problem. I was thinking that since the car was going down a hill at at 25 degree angle that I would use the W = Fscos[tex]\theta[/tex] formula.
the general equation for work done by a constant force is Fcostheta(d)
(However, after thinking about it, the force is parallel with the slope of the hill, so I should either use the W = Fx[tex]\Delta[/tex]x formula OR set [tex]\theta[/tex] to 0 instead of 25.
yes, so how much work is done by gravity, and how much work is done by friction?

PhanthomJay said:
the general equation for work done by a constant force is Fcostheta(d)

OK, after relooking at my book what I thought was an Fs was actually an Fs, so W = Fscos[tex]\theta[/tex]. Can I assume that s and d are the same thing?

PhanthomJay said:
yes, so how much work is done by gravity, and how much work is done by friction?

Wg = (7.06x103N)(10m) = 7.06x104J

Wf = (-7.06x103N)(10m) = -7.06x104J

Jim01 said:
OK, after relooking at my book what I thought was an Fs was actually an Fs, so W = Fscos[tex]\theta[/tex]. Can I assume that s and d are the same thing?

Wg = (7.06x103N)(10m) = 7.06x104J

Wf = (-7.06x103N)(10m) = -7.06x104J
Yes, yes, and yes to all. :approve: Now please study up on the definition of work...don't blindly copy a formula out of a book without trying to understand the theory.:frown:

1. How does the weight of the car affect its speed while diving down a steep, slippery hill?

The weight of the car plays a crucial role in its speed while driving down a steep, slippery hill. The heavier the car, the greater the force of gravity acting on it. This means that a heavier car will accelerate faster down the hill due to the force of gravity.

2. What role does friction play in a car's ability to drive down a steep, slippery hill?

Friction is the force that opposes motion and it plays a significant role in a car's ability to drive down a steep, slippery hill. Friction between the tires and the road surface helps to slow down the car's acceleration, allowing the driver to maintain control.

3. How does a car's braking system affect its ability to drive down a steep, slippery hill?

A car's braking system is crucial in controlling its speed while driving down a steep, slippery hill. By applying the brakes, the driver can counteract the force of gravity and friction, slowing down the car's acceleration and maintaining control.

4. How does the slope of the hill impact the car's descent?

The slope of the hill has a direct impact on the car's descent. A steeper slope will increase the force of gravity acting on the car, causing it to accelerate faster. A less steep slope will result in a slower acceleration.

5. How can the driver's actions affect the car's descent down a steep, slippery hill?

The driver's actions, such as applying the brakes or steering, can greatly impact the car's descent down a steep, slippery hill. By using proper driving techniques and making calculated decisions, the driver can maintain control and safely navigate the hill.