Car Accelerating Down Hill: Friction & Energy Homework

In summary: Oh wait sorry, it should decrease. As the mass increases, the net force will be greater, but the acceleration will be the same, leading to a shorter distance. Sorry about that!
logan3

Homework Statement

A 900-kg car initially at rest rolls 50m down a hill inclined at an angle of 5.0^o. A 400-N effective friction force opposes its motion. (a) How fast is the car moving at the bottom? (b) What distance will it travel on a similar horizontal surface at the bottom of the hill? (c) Will the distance decrease or increase if the car’s mass is 1800-kg?

[itex]m = 900 kg[/itex]
[itex]\vec s_i = 50 m[/itex]
[itex]\vec s_f = 0 m[/itex]
[itex]\Delta \vec s = \vec s_f - \vec s_i = -50 m[/itex]
[itex]\theta = 5.0^o[/itex]
[itex]\vec F_f = 400 N[/itex]
[itex]g = 9.8 m/s^2[/itex]
[itex]KE_i = 0 J[/itex]
[itex]PE_f = 0 J[/itex]

Homework Equations

My car is going down the hill and to the left. I choose up as positive, down as negative, right as positive and left as negative.

(a) [itex]\sum \vec F_x = F_{net1} = F_f - F = F_f - mg sin \theta[/itex]
[itex]W_{net} = {\vec F}_{net} \Delta \vec s[/itex]
[itex]PE_i = mg \vec s_i[/itex]
[itex]KE_f = \frac {1}{2}m {\vec v}^2[/itex]
[itex]KE_i + PE_i = KE_f + PE_f \Rightarrow PE_i = KE_f \Rightarrow mg \vec s_i = \frac {1}{2}m {\vec v}^2 \Rightarrow \vec v = -\sqrt{2g \vec s_i}[/itex]

(b) [itex]\vec F_{net2} = \vec F_f - \vec F_{net1} = ma \Rightarrow a = \frac {\vec F_f - \vec F_{net1}}{m}[/itex]
[itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 \vec a \vec s \Rightarrow \vec s = \frac {v_f^2 - v_i^2}{2 \vec a}[/itex]

or

[itex]F_f = ma \Rightarrow a = \frac {F_f}{m}[/itex]
[itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 \vec a \vec s \Rightarrow \vec s = \frac {v_i^2}{2 \vec a}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [itex]\sum \vec F_x = F_{net1} = 400 N - (900 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(sin 5.0^o) = -368.71 N[/itex]
[itex]W_{net} = {\vec F}_{net} \Delta \vec s = (-368.71 N)(-50 m) = 18,435 J[/itex]
[itex]\vec v = -\sqrt{2g \vec s_i} = -\sqrt{2(9.8 m/s^2)(50 m)} = -31.304 m/s \sim -31 m/s[/itex]

(b) [itex]\vec v_i = -31.304 m/s[/itex]
[itex]\vec v_f = 0 m/s[/itex]
[itex]\vec F_f = 400 N[/itex]

[itex]a = \frac {(400 N) - (-368.71 N)}{(900 kg)} = 0.8541 m/s^2[/itex]
[itex]\vec s = \frac {(0)^2 - (-31.304 m/s)^2}{2(0.8541 m/s^2)} = -573.66 m \sim -570m[/itex]

or

[itex]F_f = ma \Rightarrow a = \frac {F_f}{m} = \frac {400 N}{900 kg} = 0.44444 m/s^2[/itex]
[itex]\vec s = \frac {- (-31.304 m/s)^2}{2(0.44444 m/s^2)} = -1102.4 m \sim -1100m[/itex]

(c) The distance will increase, because the greater mass will cause the force of gravity accelerating the car down the hill to increase. In turn, this will cause the net work, KE and velocity to increase.

Is part a correct? Which way is correct for part b? Is anything else wrong?
Thank-you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there. Part a is not correct. What is the height of the hill? The speed of the car at the bottom of the hill will be less than 31m/s because you left the work done by friction out of the equation. It should be PEi=KEf +Wf since the car was initially at rest. Think it in terms of energy.

Last edited:
lep11 said:
Hi there. Part a is not correct. What is the height of the hill?
So with gravitational PE I use the vertical component of its displacement, but with work I use the displacement (which would be [itex]||\vec s|| sin \theta[/itex] and [itex]\Delta \vec s = s_f - s_i[/itex] respectively)?

[itex]h = ||\vec s|| sin \theta = (50 m)sin(5.0^o) = 4.3577 m[/itex]

lep11 said:
The speed of the car at the bottom of the hill will be less than 31m/s because you left the work done by friction out of the equation. It should be PEi=KEf +Wf since the car was initially at rest. Think it in terms of energy.
Ok, so the car has some PE at the top, then it's converted to KE at the bottom, and in between there's a loss of energy due to friction. So:

[itex]W_f = {\vec F}_f \Delta \vec s = (400 N)(-50 m) = 20,000 J[/itex]
[itex]PE_i = KE_f + W_f \Rightarrow mgh = \frac {1}{2}m {\vec v_f}^2 + W_f \Rightarrow \vec v_f = -\sqrt {\frac {2(mgh - W_f)}{m}}[/itex]

(a) [itex]\vec v_f = -\sqrt {\frac {2((900 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(4.3577 m) - (20,000 J))}{(900 kg)}} = -7.9491 m/s \sim -7.9 m/s[/itex]

(b) [itex]F_f = ma \Rightarrow a = \frac {F_f}{m} = \frac {400 N}{900 kg} = 0.44444 m/s^2[/itex]
[itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 \vec a \vec s \Rightarrow \vec s = \frac {v_i^2}{2 \vec a} = \frac {- (-7.9491 m/s)^2}{2(0.44444 m/s^2)} = -71.087 m \sim -71m[/itex]

(c) The distance will increase, because the greater mass will cause the force of gravity accelerating the car down the hill to increase. In turn, this will cause the net work, KE and velocity to increase.

Thank-you

Last edited:
logan3 said:
So with gravitational PE I use the vertical component of its displacement, but with work I use the displacement (which would be [itex]||\vec s|| sin \theta[/itex] and [itex]\Delta \vec s = s_f - s_i[/itex] respectively)?

[itex]h = ||\vec s|| sin \theta = (50 m)sin(5.0^o) = 4.3577 m[/itex]
Exactly.

logan3 said:
Ok, so the car has some PE at the top, then it's converted to KE at the bottom, and in between there's a loss of energy due to friction. So:

[itex]W_f = {\vec F}_f \Delta \vec s = (400 N)(-50 m) = 20,000 J[/itex]
[itex]PE_i = KE_f + W_f \Rightarrow mgh = \frac {1}{2}m {\vec v_f}^2 + W_f \Rightarrow \vec v_f = -\sqrt {\frac {2(mgh - W_f)}{m}}[/itex]

(a) [itex]\vec v_f = -\sqrt {\frac {2((900 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(4.3577 m) - (20,000 J))}{(900 kg)}} = -7.9491 m/s \sim -7.9 m/s[/itex]
Looks good now.

Last edited:
logan3 said:
(b) [itex]F_f = ma \Rightarrow a = \frac {F_f}{m} = \frac {400 N}{900 kg} = 0.44444 m/s^2[/itex]
[itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 \vec a \vec s \Rightarrow \vec s = \frac {v_i^2}{2 \vec a} = \frac {- (-7.9491 m/s)^2}{2(0.44444 m/s^2)} = -71.087 m \sim -71m[/itex]
This looks right as well.
logan3 said:

Thank-you
Nope, it won't increase. How is friction defined?

Last edited:

1. How does friction affect a car accelerating downhill?

Friction plays a crucial role in a car's acceleration downhill. As the car moves down the hill, friction between the tires and the road surface helps to slow down the car's speed and prevent it from free-falling. This frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion, creating a resistance that must be overcome by the engine's power.

2. What is the relationship between friction and energy in a car accelerating downhill?

The frictional force between the tires and the road surface converts the car's kinetic energy into heat energy, which is dissipated into the surrounding environment. This results in a decrease in the car's overall energy, as some of it is lost due to the frictional force. Therefore, the higher the friction, the more energy is lost, and the slower the car's acceleration.

3. Does the weight of the car affect its acceleration downhill?

Yes, the weight of the car does affect its acceleration downhill. The heavier the car, the more gravitational potential energy it has when at the top of the hill. As it accelerates down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a faster acceleration. However, a heavier car will also have a greater resistance to motion, due to its increased weight, which will slow down its acceleration.

4. How does the angle of the hill affect a car's acceleration downhill?

The angle of the hill can have a significant impact on a car's acceleration downhill. A steeper hill will result in a greater gravitational force acting on the car, which will increase its acceleration. However, a steeper hill will also result in a greater frictional force, which will decrease the car's acceleration. The angle of the hill will also affect the car's weight distribution and traction, which can further impact its acceleration.

5. Can a car ever reach a constant speed while accelerating downhill?

No, a car cannot reach a constant speed while accelerating downhill. This is because the force of gravity acting on the car will continue to increase as it gains speed, resulting in a constantly changing acceleration. Additionally, the frictional force will also continue to act in the opposite direction, preventing the car from reaching a constant speed. However, the car can reach a point where the forces are balanced, resulting in a steady acceleration, but not a constant speed.