1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Division with variables (I think I'd call this double division)

1. May 25, 2006 #1
    I don't even know where to start with this question, someone help please.

I don't know how to LaTeX this question so please bare with me:

( ( x / y ) - ( 4y / x ) ) / (x + 2y)

It's two fractions over a binomial.

Hope this isn't to unclear :(
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Click this for the code to make it:
    [tex] \frac{\frac{x}{y} - \frac{4y}{x}}{x + 2y} [/tex]

Now the question on everyone's mind is: what do you actually have to do with this? Simplify it?
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  4. May 25, 2006 #3
    Yah, sorry about that, and thanks for the LaTeX code. I'm supposed to simplify it but after setting it up like this [tex] \frac{x}{y} - \frac {4y}{x} \times \frac{x + 2y}{1} [/tex] (I think that's proper form anyways) I don't know what else to do.
  5. May 25, 2006 #4
    dont know if this is right but it looks good to me

First find the comon denominator in the top fraction

multiply by the inverse

then diference of squares?

then cancel

Anyone know a good LaTeX tutorial? I would likke to post more and using LaTeX is just so much prettier :)
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  6. May 25, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Please, don't show COMPLETE solution. You can guide him, and should let the OP do it him/herself. Showing solutions can be good in some cases, like when the OP has made a great deal of effort trying to solve the problem, but still cannot get the correct answer. But showing solution without any explanation, or without the OP's having shown his/her work, it can be very bad.
    You can take some time to readthe rules.
    There's a sticky Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting in the board Math & Science Tutorials (the first board from the top). There are 3 pretty good .PDF files there.
  7. May 26, 2006 #6

You are probably right , sorry about that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?