Polynomial Long Division for Limit Calculation

In summary, the expression is \frac{x^5-a^5}{x^2-a^2}, and the goal is to take the limit as x->a. Long division and synthetic division are both attempted, with the latter resulting in a remainder of -a^5+xa^4. To simplify the expression, the numerator can be factored to -a^5(1-x), and the denominator can be factored to (x-a)(x+a). After canceling out the common factor of (x-a), the limit can be evaluated to be (5a^3)/2.
Metal_Zelda

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{x^5-a^5}{x^2-a^2}[/tex], where a is some constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to do this with long division. With synthetic, I can get to [tex]\frac{a^4+a^3 x+a^2 x^2+a x^3+x^4}{a+x}[/tex]
Code:
                  x^3+xa^2+?
                          0-  a^5+x^3a^2
                                xa^4-x^3a^2
                    ---------------

Hopefully it's possible to decipher my steps from that diagram, I don't know how to write long division in latex. I'm left with -a^5+xa^4, which doesn't go evenly into the divisor. I thought about writing [tex]\frac{-a^5+xa^4}{x^2-a^2}[/tex] in place of the ? mark, but the entire purpose of this is to take the limit as x->a, and I would be left with division by zero. Surely this isn't only solvable by synthetic division?

Edit: For prosperity's sake, the limit is (5a^3)/2

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did so far is fine. You can simplify your expression for the remainder. Factor ##a^4## out of the numerator, and factor the denominator. You'll get some cancellation that will allows you to evaluate the limit.

I'm not seeing the cancellation. Could you elaborate?

Not really without pretty much doing it for you. What did you get when you factored the top and bottom?

Sorry, I forgot about the -a^5. I got it now, thanks!

What is polynomial long division?

Polynomial long division is a method used to divide one polynomial by another polynomial in order to find the quotient and remainder.

Why is polynomial long division important?

Polynomial long division is important because it allows us to simplify complex polynomial expressions, solve polynomial equations, and find roots of polynomial functions.

What are the steps involved in polynomial long division?

The steps involved in polynomial long division are:

1. Arrange the polynomial terms in descending order of degree
  2. Divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor to get the first term of the quotient
  3. Multiply the divisor by the first term of the quotient and subtract the result from the dividend
  4. Bring down the next term of the dividend and repeat the process until all terms have been evaluated

What is the difference between polynomial long division and regular long division?

The main difference between polynomial long division and regular long division is that in polynomial long division, we are dividing polynomials instead of numbers. This means that we have to consider the degree of each term and perform operations with variables and exponents.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing polynomial long division?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing polynomial long division include:

• Not arranging the terms in descending order of degree
  • Forgetting to multiply the divisor by the first term of the quotient
  • Forgetting to change the signs when subtracting the result from the dividend
  • Not bringing down the next term of the dividend
  • Making mistakes with arithmetic operations