DIY Stun Gun/Electrical Stimulator

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a stimulating electrode for nerve conduction research. The person is looking for suggestions on how to make one with common items that can produce enough voltage to activate a nerve. There is also a mention of moderators potentially closing the thread due to the topic being deemed dangerous. The conversation ends with a request for the person to privately message a moderator about their research in order to determine if the thread can continue in the open forums.
Sydney Clark
I am doing nerve conduction research for the Intel International Science Fair and I need to make a stimulating electrode or just something that I can make with common items and that can release enough voltage to stimulate/activate the nerve. I made one using a lighter, but I am not sure that it produces enough electricity to trigger the nerve. Can anyone give me any suggestions for making something small that can send an adequate amount of electricity/voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoa! There's a world of difference between stimulation and a stun gun. I expect that the moderators will either change your title, or close this thread because dangerous topics are not allowed on PF.

If you really mean just the minimum to stimulate a nerve (like make a dead frog's leg twitch) I suggest that you rephrase the question more accurately.

Likes berkeman
Sydney Clark said:
I am doing nerve conduction research for the Intel International Science Fair and I need to make a stimulating electrode or just something that I can make with common items and that can release enough voltage to stimulate/activate the nerve. I made one using a lighter, but I am not sure that it produces enough electricity to trigger the nerve. Can anyone give me any suggestions for making something small that can send an adequate amount of electricity/voltage?
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

@Sydney Clark -- please send me a Private Message describing what research you have been doing into how to safely generate EMG/TENS signals. Then I will be able to judge whether we can allow your thread to proceed in the open forums...

1. How does a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator work?

A DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator works by delivering a high voltage, low current electric shock to the muscles of the body. This causes the muscles to contract rapidly, resulting in pain and temporary paralysis. The electrical shock disrupts the normal communication between the brain and muscles, causing the muscles to lose control.

2. Is it legal to build and use a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator?

The legality of building and using a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator varies by location. In some places, it may be illegal to possess or use such a device, while in others it may be legal as long as it is not used against another person. It is important to research and understand the laws in your area before building and using a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator.

3. What materials are needed to build a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator?

The materials needed to build a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator may vary depending on the specific design and instructions being followed. However, common materials include a high voltage power source (such as a disposable camera), wires, switches, capacitors, and a container or handle to hold the components together. It is important to follow all safety precautions and use caution when handling these materials.

4. Are DIY stun guns/electrical stimulators safe to use?

DIY stun guns/electrical stimulators can be dangerous if not built and used properly. The high voltage and electric shock can cause burns, muscle damage, and in extreme cases, cardiac arrest. It is important to use caution and follow all safety precautions when building and using a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator.

5. Can a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator be used for self-defense?

While a DIY stun gun/electrical stimulator may be capable of causing temporary paralysis and pain, it is not a reliable or recommended form of self-defense. In many cases, it may not be effective against a determined attacker and could potentially escalate the situation. It is important to seek proper training and use legal and appropriate means of self-defense.