Can retroviruses be used for gene therapy?

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy Testing
In summary, the conversation is about a university student in BioMedical-Engineering who is interested in trying something new with DIY projects. They are specifically interested in DIY medical testing and are looking for information on feasibility and resources. The topic of using retroviruses for gene therapy is also briefly mentioned.
Jarfi
Hey, I am a second year university student in BioMedical-Engineering and I've been looking to try something new.

DIY is something I have been into for a while, I own and operate a 3d printer and I'm building other projects. So complexity is not really an issue as long as there is information. Is doing something like a DIY medical testing viable or is it not as user friendly? It seems there is no DIY Medical community around, so I am aware that it must be much harder for the "hobbyist" to break his way into it.

What I'm looking for now is testosterone level testing, and other hormones/chemicals that can be analyzed from a blood sample.

If anyone has links, or explanations on weather it's feasible or not then that would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance,

-Jarfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bystander said:

Holy smokes! :woot:

Virus-based
Retroviruses can be retrained to attach to cells and replace DNA. They go through a process called reverse transcription to deliver genetic packaging in a vector.[34] Usually, these devices are Pol – Gag genes of the virus for the Capsid and Delivery system. This process is called retroviral Gene Therapy, having the ability to re-engineer cellular DNA by usage of viral vectors.[35] This approach has appeared in the form of Retroviral, Adenoviral, and Lentiviral gene delivery systems.[36] These Gene Therapy vectors have been used in cats to send genes into the genetic modified animal "GMO" causing it display the trait. [37]

Virus-based
Retroviruses can be retrained to attach to cells and replace DNA. They go through a process called reverse transcription to deliver genetic packaging in a vector.[34] Usually, these devices are Pol – Gag genes of the virus for the Capsid and Delivery system. This process is called retroviral Gene Therapy, having the ability to re-engineer cellular DNA by usage of viral vectors.[35] This approach has appeared in the form of Retroviral, Adenoviral, and Lentiviral gene delivery systems.[36] These Gene Therapy vectors have been used in cats to send genes into the genetic modified animal "GMO" causing it display the trait. [37]
berkeman said:
Well worth watching... more than once, even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bourne_Legacy_(film)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Virus-based

Obligatory XKCD reference:
t_cells.png

http://xkcd.com/938/

Likes Ryan_m_b and berkeman

What is DIY testosterone testing?

DIY testosterone testing refers to the process of testing one's own testosterone levels without the help of a medical professional. This can involve using at-home test kits or self-administered blood tests.

What are the benefits of DIY testosterone testing?

The main benefit of DIY testosterone testing is convenience. It allows individuals to test their testosterone levels in the comfort of their own home, without having to schedule a doctor's appointment. It also often comes at a lower cost compared to traditional testing methods.

Is DIY testosterone testing accurate?

At-home testosterone testing can be accurate if the test is performed correctly and the results are interpreted appropriately. However, it is important to note that self-testing may not be as reliable as testing done by a trained medical professional.

What are the risks of DIY testosterone testing?

There are a few potential risks associated with DIY testosterone testing. These include improper test administration, misinterpretation of results, and lack of follow-up care if the results show abnormal levels. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider if you have any concerns about your testosterone levels.

Can DIY testosterone testing replace medical testing?

No, DIY testosterone testing should not replace medical testing. While at-home testing can provide some information about one's testosterone levels, it is not a substitute for a comprehensive evaluation by a healthcare professional. It is important to consult with a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.