Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DNA being carried by each chromosome

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1

I'm a little bit confused in terms of the DNA being carried by each chromosome.

When the cell is described as 4n in Interphase; with 4 copies of each DNA molecule, does this mean that each chromatid has 1 molecule of DNA? Hence, allowing 2molecules of DNA per chromosome?

Also can someone explain how the cell goes from 4n to 2n in Anaphase?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Re: Mitosis

Yes one chromatid is an entire double helix by itself. from 4n to 2n, well since you already mentioned anaphase, dont you think you know the answer already
  4. Apr 11, 2010 #3

ok...I think I was looking at the diagrams and sort of confused myself. Now that I think about it 4n would just mean doubling the DNA so that the cell can divide into 2 daughter cells. It wouldn't necessarily mean 2 chromosomes which would give the 4 DNA molecules.

So then 2n would just mean the DNA distributed to the daughter cells...is that correct?
  5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

yeah you got it, the n vs 2n thing is just a haploid vs diploid thing
  6. Apr 11, 2010 #5

cool. Thanks very much for your help:approve:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook