How many DNA strands does a chromosome have?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, A DNA molecule refers to a double helix with 2 strands, while a DNA strand is one of the separated strands of a double helix. In a diploid cell, there are 46 DNA molecules or 92 strands. During cell replication, each chromosome contains 2 DNA molecules, while when not replicating, it only has one. Therefore, during replication, there are 92 DNA molecules and during non-replication, there are 46 DNA molecules.
sameeralord
Ok this seems like a simple question but when I checked I get so confused. Please use these terms to answer my question.

1 DNA molecule- This means a double helix (2 strands)
1 DNA strand- This means when you break the double helix and one separate strand

I thought one chromatid contain 1 DNA strand and 2 chromatids make a chromosome and 1 DNA molecule.

So in a diploid cell you have 46 DNA molecules or 92 strands. Is this wrong? :smile:

EDIT: Oh wait I know why I don't understand this. Chromatid also contains a DNA molecule right. When the cell is replicating each chromosome has 2 dna molecules and when it is not it only has one.

So when the cell is not reproducing there are 46 DNA molecules
and when it is there are 92 DNA molecules is that right?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
i don't see anything wrong with your logic. Looks right

1. How many DNA strands make up a chromosome?

A chromosome is composed of two DNA strands, which are tightly coiled around each other.

2. Are the two DNA strands in a chromosome identical?

No, the two DNA strands in a chromosome are not identical. They are complementary, meaning they have opposite sequences of base pairs.

3. Can a chromosome have more than two DNA strands?

No, a chromosome can only have two DNA strands. The number of DNA strands in a chromosome is fixed and specific to each species.

4. How many chromosomes are in a human cell?

A human cell typically contains 46 chromosomes, or 23 pairs of chromosomes. Each pair includes one chromosome from the mother and one from the father.

5. Do all organisms have the same number of DNA strands in their chromosomes?

No, the number of DNA strands in a chromosome can vary among different species. For example, humans have 46 chromosomes, while dogs have 78 and fruit flies have 8.