DNS in Geophysics: Resources & Implementation

In summary, the conversation is about someone starting a research project on Earth's core dynamics using a pre-existing code. They are seeking resources on implementing DNS efficiently and someone suggests using a finite volume code. The conversation then shifts to discussing DNS computer code and potentially getting more help in a computer forum. Finally, they mention the Earth Simulator and share links for more information.
RobosaurusRex
Hi all,

I am soon starting a research project into Earths core dynamics, and will be using a pre existing code. I understand the principle of DNS and resolving for all different resolutions. But I do not really understand how to implement that efficiently. Does anyone have any good resources for me?

I imagine using something like a finite volume code, and then running for different resolutions? Not a clue how to do DNS in practice.

Cheers all

Computer science news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with DNS computer code in the way you are suggesting, can you clarify? Thanks!

Evo said:
I am not familiar with DNS computer code in the way you are suggesting, can you clarify? Thanks!
DNS - Direct Numerical Simulation

RobosaurusRex said:
DNS - Direct Numerical Simulation
Thanks, do you think perhaps you might get more help in the computer forum? I can move this thread and leave a re-direct for a few days.

Evo said:
Thanks, do you think perhaps you might get more help in the computer forum? I can move this thread and leave a re-direct for a few days.
Please do, if you think that's best. My apologies

RobosaurusRex said:
Please do, if you think that's best. My apologies
No problem. That way it will get views from both forums at the same time, it does cross both forums.

Last edited:

Related to DNS in Geophysics: Resources & Implementation

1. What is DNS in Geophysics?

DNS, or Domain Name System, is a hierarchical naming system that is used to translate domain names (such as www.example.com) into IP addresses (such as 192.168.1.1). In geophysics, DNS is used to organize and manage resources related to geophysical data and research.

2. What types of resources can be managed using DNS in Geophysics?

DNS in Geophysics can be used to manage a variety of resources, including data repositories, web services, scientific instruments, and research projects. It can also be used to organize and manage metadata related to these resources.

3. How is DNS in Geophysics implemented?

DNS in Geophysics is typically implemented using a combination of software tools and protocols, such as the Domain Name System Protocol (DNSP) and the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). These tools allow for the creation and management of DNS records, which are used to map domain names to IP addresses and other types of resources.

4. What are the benefits of using DNS in Geophysics?

One of the main benefits of using DNS in Geophysics is the ability to easily organize and manage resources related to geophysical data and research. This can improve efficiency and collaboration among scientists and researchers. Additionally, using DNS can help ensure that resources are easily accessible and can be reliably referenced in publications and other documentation.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to using DNS in Geophysics?

While DNS can be a useful tool in managing geophysical resources, there are a few potential challenges and limitations to consider. These may include the need for technical expertise to set up and maintain DNS records, potential security risks, and potential difficulties in integrating DNS with existing systems and protocols. It is important for scientists to carefully consider these factors when implementing DNS in their geophysics work.