Do Bell Experiments Show Local Overlap of Wave Functions Before Measurement?

In summary: I'm not sure how to parse that.)In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of locality and non-locality in relation to entangled particles. The main question is whether the particles in Bell experiments can be considered local in some sense. The conversation also mentions the distinction between the notions of local and localized, as well as the use of ontic variables to interpret quantum mechanics. Ultimately, the consensus is that the non-separability of entangled states and the long-ranged correlations observed between them do not violate the principles of relativistic causality and locality.
Fra said:
I agree with what all you say except I would say that QT describes this (accuractely), which is not a bad achievement in itself of course! But it's explanatory value can certainly improve and such improvement need not (and will not IMO) Bell style "local realism".
Natural sciences describe nature and don't explain her. Why Nature behaves as she does is in the realm of faith of all kinds (philosophical, religious) and has nothing to do with the natural sciences, because you cannot empirically test the one or the other "explanation".
Fra said:
The lack of deeper understanding of causal mechanisms, makes no practical difference for the mature QM applications, but I expect it to make a profound difference for the research on unification of all interactions in a coherent framework.
QT is perfectly causal, i.e., the state of a system is determined by its past. It's even "local in time", i.e., the knowledge of the state at one point in time together with the complete knowledge about the dynamics of the system (i.e., the Hamiltonian) determines the state at all later times. That's not different from classical physics. What's different is the probabilistic meaning of the state, but I don't see, what is unsatisfactory about this, because all observations show the corresponding randomness, particularly the Bell tests tell us that the assumption of predetermined values of all observables (in contradiction to QT), where the probabilistic description is only to be used because of some lack of knowledge about the system (as in classical statistical physics).
Fra said:
I just think there are so many interesting things in QM, that can not be a conicidence and hopefully can be understood in a deeper way. This is my firm conviction at least.
They are not a coincidence, because they are physical laws which have been discovered by the usual interplay between experiment and theory. It's not more a coincidence than that Newtonian mechanics and Maxwell electromagnetic theory are successful in describing a large part of how Nature behaves. That there are no hints for limits of validity of QT is indeed amazing. Of course the one thing we don't yet understand is the quantum description of the gravitational interaction ("quantum gravity").

Likes Delta2, weirdoguy and Lord Jestocost
Physics news on Phys.org
Fra said:
this is the very definition of statistical independence to me - not locality
The reason Bell calls this condition "locality" is simple: it is the natural way of expressing the idea that measurement settings at A cannot affect measurement results at B, and vice versa. Note that this is not the same as the measurement settings at A being statistically independent of measurement settings at B.

Fra said:
I find that bell also makes assumptions about the nature of causality in interactions, that is bundled together with his "realism".
What, specifically, in his papers leads you to this belief?

Likes Doc Al
vanhees71 said:
Bell's papers are about any kind or local realistic models, contradicting any QT
Bell shows that the predictions of QT violate his inequalities, yes--of course that is easy to show. And therefore no "local realistic" model can reproduce the predictions of QT, since "local realistic" models will obey his inequalities. That was the whole point of his papers on this topic. And it does not contradict anything I said.

vanhees71 said:
Then we have a different understanding of what Bell is saying.
Nothing in what you quote from Bell contradicts anything I said. I don't know what point you are trying to make.

Likes DrChinese and Doc Al
vanhees71 said:
Of course the one thing we don't yet understand is the quantum description of the gravitational interaction ("quantum gravity").
Just for perspective, I see you often leave it for a last as a minor note, "we do not yet understand quantum gravity". For me, understanding this unification of interactions is the main motivator. Without a solid spacetime and a classical background, you can not even describe quantum mechanics properly. So I would choose to put it first, not as a last or minor note. This probably explains some disagreements as our focuses are different. I am not interested in pure reinterpretations-only of QM. I agree that would not be quite rational science.

vanhees71 said:
Natural sciences describe nature and don't explain her. Why Nature behaves as she does is in the realm of faith of all kinds (philosophical, religious) and has nothing to do with the natural sciences, because you cannot empirically test the one or the other "explanation".
Without going into the philosophy of science, I distinguish between the current mature state scientific knowledge, and it's method, and the method must be more than just random hypothesis generations and corroborations.

I think the idea is that the "right explanation" will make unification of interactions, including gravity easier, and then I think we will all by occams razor think that it's the better explanation. I personally have a hard time to see how we can find a conceptually sound theory that includes gravity, without in some way twisting the foundations of QFT as it stands today. One may wonder what such bell experiments has todo with quantum gravity, but I think connections is not unreasonble. (There are lots of papers ponderings on the EPR=ER, QM=GR ideas etc)
vanhees71 said:
(i.e., the Hamiltonian) determines the state at all later times. That's not different from classical physics.
This is part of the problem for me. That its not worse than classical physics is not exactly much or an argument. QM is at least - in part - a theory of what an observer can infer from system from interaction, classical physics is not even close.

/Fredrik

Likes kurt101
PeterDonis said:
What, specifically, in his papers leads you to this belief?
The same paper Vanhes referred to, on p404 the yellow ansatz contains a lot of stuff, and I guess you can bundle it up into "classical concepts/logic" etc, but I find that by doing that you reject some notions (such as subjective HV) that perhaps can be useful. After all, the reason for the HV is to explain a pre-set correlation. But then one tries to infer that such a preset correlation would imply this inequality (which I find doomed to start with). But in the ansatz many other assumptions of the nature of interactions seems to go in. (all consistent with classical physics of course, which is why the go in unnnoticed)

bell2.JPG

/Fredrik

Fra said:
the yellow ansatz contains a lot of stuff
I'm not sure what you mean. Equation (2) in that paper is the locality assumption: the result ##A## does not depend on the settings ##\vec{b}## and vice versa. Other assumptions, including anything you might want to relate to "causality", are elsewhere in the paper.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Bell shows that the predictions of QT violate his inequalities, yes--of course that is easy to show. And therefore no "local realistic" model can reproduce the predictions of QT, since "local realistic" models will obey his inequalities. That was the whole point of his papers on this topic. And it does not contradict anything I said.Nothing in what you quote from Bell contradicts anything I said. I don't know what point you are trying to make.
Bell very clearly states that "local" means that there is no causal influence between far-distant measurements and "realistic" that the observables take determined values, and the statistics thus is due to our ignorance of information about their values, and this is described by the statistics over "hidden variables" in the following from the quoted paragraph of his famous paper. You need both assumptions to derive Bell's inequality, which is predicted (and nowadays empirically known with high significance to be) violated.

For me the case is pretty clear: Since local relativistic QFT is indeed "local" in Bell's sense, leading among other things to the validity of the cluster decomposition principle even for the S-matrix (which means the "locality assumption" even holds considering the asymptotic free initial and final states entering the definition of the corresponding S-matrix elements) one has to give up indeed "realism".

Of course, it could well be, that there are alternative relativistic QFTs that are "non-local" in some sense and "realistic" in Bell's sense, but hitherto no such viable alternative has been found nor are there any hints for the necessity of "hidden variables". Particularly the observation of the violation of Bell's inequalities in precisely the way predicted by Q(F)T is at least convincing evidence that the picture of a local but "non-realistic" description is indeed the right description of Nature.

Fra said:
Just for perspective, I see you often leave it for a last as a minor note, "we do not yet understand quantum gravity". For me, understanding this unification of interactions is the main motivator. Without a solid spacetime and a classical background, you can not even describe quantum mechanics properly. So I would choose to put it first, not as a last or minor note. This probably explains some disagreements as our focuses are different. I am not interested in pure reinterpretations-only of QM. I agree that would not be quite rational science.
I put it last to underline my opinion that the resolution of this problem is most probably indeed not in the foundations/interpretations of quantum theory but needs new empirical input to find a viable quantum theory of the gravitational interaction. Given the success of GR as the classical field theory describing the gravitational interaction with its implications for the spacetime model, most probably one will have to find a way to quantum-theoretically describe the classical spacetime model as an emergent phenomenon. Since for standard Q(F)T the classical spacetime "background" is the most important input to formulate a concrete model (by using the proper orthochronous Poincare group to derive the fundamental properties of the quantum fields and the corresponding "particles") it is very hard to find such an ansatz for a QT of gravitation.
Fra said:
Without going into the philosophy of science, I distinguish between the current mature state scientific knowledge, and it's method, and the method must be more than just random hypothesis generations and corroborations.
Indeed. The history of physics for me indicates that we need some empirical input to guide the direction in theory building.
Fra said:
I think the idea is that the "right explanation" will make unification of interactions, including gravity easier, and then I think we will all by occams razor think that it's the better explanation. I personally have a hard time to see how we can find a conceptually sound theory that includes gravity, without in some way twisting the foundations of QFT as it stands today. One may wonder what such bell experiments has todo with quantum gravity, but I think connections is not unreasonble. (There are lots of papers ponderings on the EPR=ER, QM=GR ideas etc)
That's for sure, but as I said, I don't think that pondering these philosophical issues brought up by EPR help much. For me, with the empirical Bell tests since Aspect et al. EPR is resolved in favor of Q(F)T.
Fra said:
This is part of the problem for me. That its not worse than classical physics is not exactly much or an argument. QM is at least - in part - a theory of what an observer can infer from system from interaction, classical physics is not even close.

/Fredrik
QT is indeed more comprehensive than classical physics, and it's also in part about what an observer "can infer from system from interaction".

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Equation (2) in that paper is the locality assumption: the result ##A## does not depend on the settings ##\vec{b}## and vice versa. Other assumptions, including anything you might want to relate to "causality", are elsewhere in the paper.
Indeed, that's the "cluster decomposition principles", fulfilled by local relativistic QFTs!

vanhees71 said:
Bell very clearly states that "local" means that there is no causal influence between far-distant measurements and "realistic" that the observables take determined values
Where does he state this?

vanhees71 said:
You need both assumptions to derive Bell's inequality
Please say exactly which equations in Bell's paper correspond to "no causal influence between far-distant measurements" and "observables take determined values".

martinbn said:
You like to say this, but you need to be more precise, otherwise readers have to guess what you mean and there is a chance that they will misunderstand you. For instance there is a region, say the whole spacetime (a lot less will do too), in which the pair have existed. So taken as written your statement is not correct.

I disagree with this. It is not a fact at all, but an interpretation.
@DrChinese I second this. It is very misleading and I was confused until I read through the actual experiment.

msumm21 said:
If the wave functions do overlap in space, then wouldn't we say the particles are actually "local" to one another (BEFORE measurement)? Or how do we define/decide when some particle is "local" to another, to mediate an influence?
I don't think I will be adding anything in the way of scientific principles to what has been said before in this thread, but I will attempt an answer that I think addresses the question in the terms that @msumm21 is working with.

Bell's Inequality provides a method of contradicting explanations of a particular entanglement experiment using any theory that is based on local realism. Explaining the Bell Inequality by expanding the particles to their full, shared wave function is not any kind of "loop hole". Quite the contrary, it demonstrates that the spatial extant of that wave function is part of the non-local "mechanism" that supports the accurate QM predictions.

Local realism addresses the communication of information. In a strict (and inaccurate) sense, if we attempt to postulate that a piece of information resides solely at a point within a particle, that information could only be "presently" local to another particle if that other particle also included that point. Allowing a single copy of that information to be spatially distributed (occupying more than a point) is an immediate violation of local realism. Allowing multiple copies of that information doesn't violate local realism, but it also can't be used to explain Bells Inequality.

Likes msumm21, gentzen and DrChinese
PeterDonis said:
Where does he state this?Please say exactly which equations in Bell's paper correspond to "no causal influence between far-distant measurements" and "observables take determined values".
I quoted the corresponding paragraph of Bell's famous paper above.

The paper is

J. S. Bell, Physics Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 195—200, 1964

He states explicitly before Eq. (2) that he assumes that the choice of the observable being measured at A and that measured at B do not mutually influence the corresponding other measurement, and in Eq. (2) it's clear that this mimplies that the probabilities factorize, depending on the hidden variables:
$$P(\vec{a},\vec{b}) = \int \mathrm{d} \lambda \rho(\lambda) A(\vec{a},\lambda) B(\vec{b},\lambda).$$

vanhees71 said:
We have a theory that explains this, QT! It's not A's measurement "that places the distant entangled partner into a state 100% correlated to Alice's choice of measurement basis" but the preparation of the entangled system before A and B do their measurements, i.e., the 100% correlation was prepared before the measurement although the measured observables are maximally uncertain and not in any way "predetermined", which is precisely what distinguishes QT from all kinds of "local realistic models".

This statement completely misses the point of the entire discussion. QT has properly predicted entanglement results for decades. And of course the "preparation of the entangled system" is responsible for the correlation in some sense. But the facts are:

a) The entangled system itself can be fully nonlocal, with A and B being distant at the initiation of entanglement and never having existed within a common light cone. The preparation need not be local (limited to a small volume of spacetime), as has been experimentally demonstrated many times.

b) The later choice of measurement by Alice on A casts distant Bob's B into an exact and precise state - and that is solely dependent on Alice's decision and nothing else. (Although it is worth noting that the ordering of Alice and Bob's measurements are not a factor, so you could claim that causality is time reversed and be just as correct.)My friend, that is quantum nonlocality - a generally accepted concept by physicists for over 50 years. Nothing in quantum theory explains what "force" acts on/causes distant Bob's B to change to a specific state based on a decision by distant Alice. QT does not "explain" this in a local manner, even though it predicts correctly. That is because QT is nonlocal in its prediction, and the interpretational debates are what attempt to "explain".

Denying "quantum nonlocality" in light of the above 2 facts is not a good look for anyone, unless you are pushing a valid interpretation (which discussion belongs in the subforum and not here, where it will confuse casual readers).

Likes Fra and Doc Al
Your interpretation contradicts the mathematical foundation of relativistic qft. We've discussed this many times. There's no need to discuss it again.

PeterDonis said:
Equation (2) contains the assumption of statistical independence, but it also contains more - the partition assumption. Ie. the assumption that it makes senses to partition the probability into an average over the outcome given by the hidden variable.

partition assumption
$$P(A,B |O_ {A}) = \sum_{\lambda} P(A,B|\lambda|O_ {A}) P(\lambda|O_ {A})$$

statistical independence
$$P(A,B |O_ {A}) = \sum_{\lambda} P(A|\lambda|O_ {A}) P(B|\lambda|O_ {A}) P(\lambda|O_ {A})$$
$$\sim \int_{\lambda} P(A|\lambda) P(B|\lambda) d \lambda$$

The partition assumption makes sense there the causal role of the hidden variable is of the simple "experimenter ignorance type", and compliant also to the old pool-table realism. But other causal mechanisms that still make use of hidden variables are still possible, I am thinking of those that can be thought of as subjective, but still real.

So all Bell theorem disproves is the "naive" ignorance type of HV mechanism.

/Fredrik

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
most probably one will have to find a way to quantum-theoretically describe the classical spacetime model as an emergent phenomenon.
Yes, I also think spacetime needs to be emergent in some sense, but one must not fool oneself and think that such an emergence can be phrased in terms of the same QM. The way it's done is to just embedd the 4D space into a larger space, or avoid curvature by embedding it into a larger space which is asymptotically flat. But you can not cheat like that and get around the core issue that the formalism depends on the very thing that is supposed to be emergent.

I think the QM formalism itself, needs to be more flexible and emergent itself, from a more general logic from QM itself also emerges.

/Fredrik

Likes vanhees71
Fra said:
partition assumption
What is ##O_A##? It would help if you would use the same notation that the paper you quoted from uses.

DrChinese said:
Nothing in quantum theory explains what "force" acts on/causes distant Bob's B to change to a specific state based on a decision by distant Alice. QT does not "explain" this in a local manner, even though it predicts correctly.
I agree, this again is the key point of the discussion!

Here it's hard to avoid addressing the link between entanglement and the makeup of space I would say. Because locality can be thought of both with respect to regular 3D space and "information space". And with these thoughts, I think there are MORE possibilities to find explanations than the original "naive" forms of causal mechanisms involving HV, that are what Bell inequality describes.

/Fredrik

PeterDonis said:
What is ##O_A##? It would help if you would use the same notation that the paper you quoted from uses.
Sorry, ##O_A## is Observer-A (ie. Alice), ##O_B## is obsever-B (ie. Bob). I consider all probabilities conditional to the observer. Soem of the orignal notation grosses over this, this is what i decomposed the conditional probabilities to illustrated what i mean.

/Fredrik

PeterDonis said:
Bell shows that the predictions of QT violate his inequalities, yes--of course that is easy to show. And therefore no "local realistic" model can reproduce the predictions of QT, since "local realistic" models will obey his inequalities.
this paper discusses a view that has been said to be “local and realistic” https://arxiv.org/pdf/1806.08150.pdf

Fra said:
##O_A## is Observer-A (ie. Alice), ##O_B## is obsever-B (ie. Bob).
Ok, so how does your notation match up with what's in the Bell paper you quoted? Again, it would help if you'd just use the same notation Bell does. As you state it I have no idea how what you say relates to what Bell said.

Fra said:
I consider all probabilities conditional to the observer. Soem of the orignal notation grosses over this, this is what i decomposed the conditional probabilities to illustrated what i mean.
This still doesn't help me to match up what you say with what Bell said.

.Scott said:
Explaining the Bell Inequality by expanding the particles to their full, shared wave function is not any kind of "loop hole". Quite the contrary, it demonstrates that the spatial extant of that wave function is part of the non-local "mechanism" that supports the accurate QM predictions.
I think I understand. I realize that calling the entangled pair local to one another (because the wave function overlaps) is a bit satisfying at first, but of course there's still something "nonlocal" in a sense to "spread the information around the wavefunction's spatial extent."

.Scott said:
Local realism addresses the communication of information. In a strict (and inaccurate) sense, if we attempt to postulate that a piece of information resides solely at a point within a particle, that information could only be "presently" local to another particle if that other particle also included that point. Allowing a single copy of that information to be spatially distributed (occupying more than a point) is an immediate violation of local realism. Allowing multiple copies of that information doesn't violate local realism, but it also can't be used to explain Bells Inequality.
Since the "copies of information" would need to "spread around the spatial extent of the wave function" faster than speed of light, that's why it would still need to violate local realism, right? If so, makes sense to me, just want to ensure I understand what you said. Thanks!

msumm21 said:
Since the "copies of information" would need to "spread around the spatial extent of the wave function" faster than speed of light, that's why it would still need to violate local realism, right? If so, makes sense to me, just want to ensure I understand what you said. Thanks!
Right!

msumm21 said:
I think I understand. I realize that calling the entangled pair local to one another (because the wave function overlaps) is a bit satisfying at first, but of course there's still something "nonlocal" in a sense to "spread the information around the wavefunction's spatial extent."
It doesn't make sense to say "the entangled pair [is] local to one another". Locality in the standard sense of the HEP community is what relativistic QFT builds into the description of particles, i.e., the Hamilton density of the theory commutes with any local observable for arguments of the corresponding operators that are spacelike separated. This implies that there cannot be any causal influence between events (in this case measurement events like detector clicks registering the one and the other particles at far-distant places).

There is indeed "something nonlocal", and that's the strong correlations between the outcome of measurements on entangled states at far-distant places, and this correlations are due to the preparation of the particles before (!) the measurement. Entangled states describe an "utmost quantum situation", where the two particles cannot be described as individual, separated entities, but only as the pair in -well- an entangled state. It's much more precise to call it "inseparability" (Einstein) rather than "non-locality", because locality is already a clear mathematical statement of properties of relativistic QFTs. Since the Bell tests are all describable within relativistic QFTs there's no contradiction between this sharp definition of "locality" and the "inseparability" demonstrated by these very Bell tests.
msumm21 said:
The problem is what "realism" means here. My understanding of Bell's writings is that he defines it as the property that all observables always take determined values, which are unknown to us due to hidden variables, which we can describe only probabilistically. This together with "locality" (and I understand Bell as precisely meaning by locality the usual HEP definition; one must not forget that Bell not only did his now more famous work on the foundations of QT but also before brillant work in relativistic QFT, discovering among others the (chiral) anomaly in gauge theories) leads to the Bell inequality, which is violated by QT for entangled states and made it a scientifically testable question, whether "local realism" (EPR) or "Q(F)T" is right, and the result, maybe to the bewilderment of Bell himself, is in favor of Q(F)T, and this with an amazing significance and accuracy!

I'll try to explain...
PeterDonis said:
This still doesn't help me to match up what you say with what Bell said.
My point is that I don't accept the equipartion assumption, which is rarely discussed, it's just uncritically "put in there", and it is part of the old legacy of the mechanical causal logic.

As I see it, there can be a hidden variable, ##\lambda## that is set when the entangled pair is created, and this explains the statistical correlation in without violating locality! So we have the explanation of correlations.

But howto escape the Bell inequality:

IMO (in my qbist inspired agent interpretation) it does not logically follow that the observations at say Alice detector, is a function of alice detector settings and ##\lambda##. My argument is a combination of informationlocality of agent action and that an interaction is a resulting form an action and reaction. Informationlocality suggest that Alice's detectors rection to the incoming entangled particle must be independent on ##\lambda## as the entangled pair by construction is ISOLATED From everything until it hits the apparatous(which Alice has set as she wishes). So the apparatous REACTION of the incoming particle, follow the expectations - which is determined not by lambda, by by the preparation procedure where the entangled pair is created. EXACTLY how the action is determined by a systems expectations of it's environment, is technically an open question. I do not have the explicit math. But that is exactly what I expect from future research (it follows from my own interpretation and understanding of physical law and QM).

So that is in short why I think the equipartition assumption is wrong to start with. Equiparition assumption holds only for the most naive old style causal mechanisms. This is what i referred to as causal mechanisms. I guess one can also associate this with the "naive realism". As I entertain a form of "subjective HV", there is still a form of reality, but reality is relative, and this influences interactions. This type of mechanism is not ruled out by Bell.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
1. As I see it, there can be a hidden variable, ##\lambda## that is set when the entangled pair is created, and this explains the statistical correlation in without violating locality! So we have the explanation of correlations.

2. Information locality suggest that Alice's detectors rection to the incoming entangled particle must be independent on ##\lambda## as the entangled pair by construction is ISOLATED From everything until it hits the apparatous(which Alice has set as she wishes). So the apparatous REACTION of the incoming particle, follow the expectations - which is determined not by lambda, by by the preparation procedure where the entangled pair is created.

1. If correct, this is exactly what Bell demonstrates requires explicit nonlocal action. Why? Because there is no ##\lambda## dataset that yields the quantum expectation values unless you FIRST know how Alice plans to measure.

2. This is not a requirement of a Bell test. Bell tests do not require that entangled particles ever interact with each other, and they do not need to have ever existed in the same spacetime cone. They can be created from fully independent sources sufficiently distant that no signal can propagate between them.

https://arxiv.org/abs/0809.3991
Abstract: "Entanglement swapping allows to establish entanglement between independent particles that never interacted nor share any common past. ..."

Consequently, there are no hidden variables from a common source as you imagine, since there is no common source, nor point of contact between the particles that Alice and Bob observe.

Likes vanhees71
Fra said:
My point is that I don't accept the equipartion assumption, which is rarely discussed,
What is the "equipartition assumption"?

DrChinese said:
1. If correct, this is exactly what Bell demonstrates requires explicit nonlocal action. Why? Because there is no ##\lambda## dataset that yields the quantum expectation values unless you FIRST know how Alice plans to measure.

2. This is not a requirement of a Bell test. Bell tests do not require that entangled particles ever interact with each other, and they do not need to have ever existed in the same spacetime cone. They can be created from fully independent sources sufficiently distant that no signal can propagate between them.

https://arxiv.org/abs/0809.3991
Abstract: "Entanglement swapping allows to establish entanglement between independent particles that never interacted nor share any common past. ..."

Consequently, there are no hidden variables from a common source as you imagine, since there is no common source, nor point of contact between the particles that Alice and Bob observe.
Nevertheless all the interactions involved in the preparation are of course local. What's needed are the two entangled photon pairs, photons 1 and 2 as well as potons 3 and 4, both of which are created by parametric down conversion, i.e., local interactions of laser photons with the BBO crystals. The next perparation step is the filter measurement done with photons 2 and 3, which also are based on local interactions of the photons with the beam splitter BS and the polarizing beam splitters PBS. The resulting entanglement of photons 1 and 4 after selection based on the measurement on photons 2 and 3 are all due to local interactions of photons with the "equipment" needed to prepare the entanglement of photons 1 and 4 via entanglement swapping. Of course, indeed, the photons 1 and 4 themselves never interacted ever locally. Nevertheless that does not imply that the interactions used to prepare them were in any way contradicting the locality of interactions in standard QED.

vanhees71 said:
Nevertheless all the interactions involved in the preparation are of course local. What's needed are the two entangled photon pairs, photons 1 and 2 as well as potons 3 and 4, both of which are created by parametric down conversion, i.e., local interactions of laser photons with the BBO crystals. The next perparation step is the filter measurement done with photons 2 and 3, which also are based on local interactions of the photons with the beam splitter BS and the polarizing beam splitters PBS. The resulting entanglement of photons 1 and 4 after selection based on the measurement on photons 2 and 3 are all due to local interactions of photons with the "equipment" needed to prepare the entanglement of photons 1 and 4 via entanglement swapping. Of course, indeed, the photons 1 and 4 themselves never interacted ever locally. Nevertheless that does not imply that the interactions used to prepare them were in any way contradicting the locality of interactions in standard QED.

I wish you would stop contradicting mainstream science on this subject, as we have discussed many times. I have provided may quotes in recent years from top scientists indicating the nonlocal nature of swapping - you are the lone voice contrary to them. Again I ask for a verbatim quote from a suitable reference that says swapping is merely local, and nothing nonlocal is occurring (contradicting the below quote).

Zeilinger et al: "Quantum teleportation strikingly underlines the peculiar features of the quantum world. We present an experimental proof of its quantum nature, teleporting [nonlocally] an entangled photon with such high quality that the nonlocal quantum correlations with its original partner photon are preserved. This procedure is also known as entanglement swapping. The nonlocality is confirmed by observing a violation of Bell's inequality by 4.5 standard deviations. Thus, by demonstrating quantum nonlocality for photons that never interacted our results directly confirm the quantum nature of teleportation."

The entanglement swap can be performed anywhere at any time. The Bell test particles can be measured by Alice and Bob anywhere and at any time. (Those particles need not have ever co-existed! And they can even be entangled AFTER they are observed!)

There can be no local description of the entire experiment with these options, since Alice and Bob were never local to each other. So we could have:

1. Alice created at T=1 and observed at T=1.5.
2. Bob created at T=2.
3. Distant Bob observed at T=3 to have perfect correlations with Alice at any desired measurement setting.
4. At a later time, the entanglement of Bob with Alice is created (yes, this seems impossible but see my reference).

Last edited:
DrChinese said:
Not very important, but they are in common light cones.

Likes vanhees71
DrChinese said:
I wish you would stop contradicting mainstream science on this subject, as we have discussed many times.
He does not contradict the science. He only objects to the use of the term nonlocal.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy
DrChinese said:
My point was that I question the whole ansatz of that ##\lambda## determines the interaction statistics. IMHO I think the anzats is flawed so is no need for nonlocal actions. The detector is "informed" about the preparation (~##\psi##) only - not about ##\lambda##, so at least in my interpretation the total interaction must account for the uncertatiny from preparation. So in my interpretation it's inconsistent that ##\lambda## alone can explain the interaction. The idea that lambda can explain this is built on the old ideas of how interactions work, and it's that THIS does not work that Bell IMO proves. But I supposed this is an interpretation as well.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
I question the whole ansatz of that ##\lambda## determines the interaction statistics.
That ansatz was made by Bell for the very reason you yourself state:

Fra said:
The idea that lambda can explain this is built on the old ideas of how interactions work
Exactly. And:

Fra said:
it's that THIS does not work that Bell IMO proves.
Yes: Bell's Theorem proves that no model of the type Bell constructs using his ansatz can reproduce the predictions of QM, and also the experimental results, since those are consistent with the predictions of QM. You aren't proposing any alternative to Bell; you are simply agreeing with the implications of his theorem. What particular words you want to use to describe the class of models his ansatz covers is irrelevant.

Likes vanhees71, Fra and Doc Al
DrChinese said:
I wish you would stop contradicting mainstream science on this subject, as we have discussed many times. I have provided may quotes in recent years from top scientists indicating the nonlocal nature of swapping - you are the lone voice contrary to them. Again I ask for a verbatim quote from a suitable reference that says swapping is merely local, and nothing nonlocal is occurring (contradicting the below quote).

Zeilinger et al: "Quantum teleportation strikingly underlines the peculiar features of the quantum world. We present an experimental proof of its quantum nature, teleporting [nonlocally] an entangled photon with such high quality that the nonlocal quantum correlations with its original partner photon are preserved. This procedure is also known as entanglement swapping. The nonlocality is confirmed by observing a violation of Bell's inequality by 4.5 standard deviations. Thus, by demonstrating quantum nonlocality for photons that never interacted our results directly confirm the quantum nature of teleportation."

The entanglement swap can be performed anywhere at any time. The Bell test particles can be measured by Alice and Bob anywhere and at any time. (Those particles need not have ever co-existed! And they can even be entangled AFTER they are observed!)

There can be no local description of the entire experiment with these options, since Alice and Bob were never local to each other. So we could have:

1. Alice created at T=1 and observed at T=1.5.
2. Bob created at T=2.
3. Distant Bob observed at T=3 to have perfect correlations with Alice at any desired measurement setting.
4. At a later time, the entanglement of Bob with Alice is created (yes, this seems impossible but see my reference).
Nothing I said, contradicts, what's said by Zeilinger above. There are of course nonlocal correlations, described by entanglement, but there are nowhere nonlocal interactions needed to explain entanglement swapping or teleportation.

My view is very mainstream physics: According to relativistic QFT all the Bell-test experiments can be described correctly using a theory based on the assumption that there are no faster-than-light causal influences, which is achieved by making the interactions described by this class of QFTs strictly local (i.e., the Hamilton density is commuting with all local observables at space-like differences of their arguments).

I don't understand, what you describe by 1.-4. To which experimental setup do you refer and what are the time (?) stamps T?