Do Brown Spiders with Pink Hourglasses Indicate Molting Black Widows?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 6K views
Biology news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
Once, when I worked for the water company in Arizona I was driving a big dump truck in downtown Scottsdale and I looked down and there was a monster wolf spider on my chest. I locked up the brakes and jumped out of the truck. I don't like the way they walk, especially on my chest.

Supposedly the huntsman spider is the biggest killer in Australia.
It's not venomous but it's huge and scary looking and likes to live in caves or parked car sun-visors. You're driving along, flip down the visor, and a spider the size of cat lands on your face and you crash.

http://brokenbay.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/huntsman-spider.jpg
Don't click if you don't like spiders!
 
Aw! that's a cute little one. I went to a Halloween party in college and bumped into a very pretty young lady wearing her pet tarantula like a piece of jewelry. Somebody asked her if she was afraid of getting bitten and she said "Why? Would you bite your furniture or the walls of your room?" She made the point. As long as the spider treated her as "territory" why would it get aggressive? She could gently pick it up and move it around to her shoulder, arm, etc, with no problem. It looked very nice as a "brooch" on her dress.
 
Oh... I hate so much spiders, I would prefer a bee nest under my bed than a single one of those "ugly" spider. Here's a photo I took in early 2008 of a spider not really far from where I live. (Argentina. http://forums.futura-sciences.com/a...5482895-identification-araignee-img_2595oejpg). I posted the photo in a forum in order to identify it, but they weren't able to help me since I didn't took the photo very close to the spider. Anyway, in the same house I took my shower with a scorpion. Fortunately my shoes were in the bathroom...
 
lisab said:
I didn't know hospitals treat spiders.

sry about the necroreply but... This has to be one of the funniest comments I've ever read. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha top star humour :)
 
I encourage spiders (and centipedes) in my house. "I saw an old lady who swallowed a spider..."