1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do employers count online 'open-source' classes that are completed?

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    I was just checking out coursera and some others and noticed there many advanced classes available.

If completed, how much weight would this carry in an interview or generally on a CV? Would this be considered fluff?

Obviously, we are in a transitional period with traditional education and the effects of the internet/open-source philosophy.

I would appreciate any advice since I am confused which route to take!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2
    Well there is certainly a lot of junk there, too. I am not involved in HR but my feeling is that it doesn't even come close to any kind of university degree, but it could help on your cv if you present it the right way. If you apply at a smart card company, and tell them you did this online course on cryptography, because you were really interested in it but couldn't take a course at your university or old employer, this will give you bonus points, as it shows that you are personally motivated in an area that is important for the company. If you say you did the courses to look good on your cv, or if they are in greek philosophy, or if you say you did them instead of going to college because they were better, then it would not look good.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    I would say that if your degree is really irrelevant, like a degree in English or something and all of your relevant expertise was garnered via these open source classes then yeah I would add them on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook