1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do engineering students have to maintain a 3.0 g.p.a.

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    Is it true that you have to have at least a 3.0 g.p.a. if you study engineering or the school can take some kind of action which is rumored to be, that they kick you out of the school, and that this is only for engineering students ? true or false ?
    I.E. If you want to repeat classes because you did not pass the first time, that they may not let you because the class would have brought your g.p.a. down by not passing it or whatever the case may be? And this could be true for a 4 year college, but probably not true at a 2 year college is also the rumor?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe at some extremely competative engineering colleges, but this isn't typical.

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't see how repeating a class could possibly bring your GPA down.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never heard of such a policy, LoI. I would advise you to not make any academic decisions based on what you hear from friends, or friends of friends. It's a very unreliable source upon which to make such important decisons.

College advisors are usually very willing to answer questions from prospective students. I strongly advise you to contact an advisor of the college you are interesting in...preferably an advisor in the major in which you want to study.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5
    I've never heard of that. In my engineering department, if you get below a 2.0 your in trouble. But this holds for any major I think. It's not uncommon for engineering students to have a GPA below a 3.0.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6
    My school and most of my friends schools require engineering students to keep a 3.0 GPA(after freshmen year) if they want to keep any academic scholarships they have been given from the school. You can only get kicked out if you have a 2.0 or below. But this would definately vary from school to school.

8. Nov 10, 2009 #7
    The closest to that kind of policy is actually an unwritten rule that if you want to get a land a good engineering job out of college, keep a 3.0 GPA or else companies will ignore you.

9. Nov 10, 2009 #8
    At the university I went to they had GPA standards for enterining the college of engineering after your sophomore year. So, for example, ME and EE majors needed a 3.5 GPA entering their junior year at the university to get into the college. Some less popular engineering majors like civil or chemical required only a 3.0. The idea was to weed people out who couldn't hack it in the lower division courses. I don't believe the GPA standard existed once you made it in, but you more than likely are capable of doing good work at that point anyway.

If you didn't make it you weren't kicked out of school but you had to choose another major and either continue with that or try again another semester.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook