Do I need induction to prove that this sequence is monotonic?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a given real sequence is bounded above without using mathematical induction. The proof uses the definition of supremum and the fact that the sequence is monotone decreasing to show that the supremum of the sequence is an upper bound. This eliminates the need for using induction in this case.
CoffeeNerd999
TL;DR Summary
If i'm proving ##y_n = \sup\{x_j | j \geq n\}## is decreasing, can this be done without invoking mathematical induction?
I think the initial assumptions would allow me to prove this without induction.

Suppose ##(x_n)## is a real sequence that is bounded above. Define $$ y_n = \sup\{x_j | j \geq n\}.$$

Let ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Then for all ##j \in \mathbb{N}## such that ##j \geq n + 1 > n##
$$ x_{j} \leq y_n.$$ So, ##y_n## is an upper bounded of ##(x_j)_{j=n+1}^\infty##. By definition, ##y_{n+1}## is the least upper bound of ##(x_j)_{j=n+1}^\infty##, so
$$y_{n+1} \leq y_n.$$ Since ##n## was chosen arbitrarily, this proves ##y_n## is monotone decreasing.

Am I correct that the using the supremum's definition makes using the induction principle suprifilous for this result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is correct and your observations as well. You don't need mathematical induction here. The following is the general situation that you applied: $$\emptyset \neq A \subseteq B \implies \sup A \leq \sup B$$

This is rather straightforward to prove (essentially the same proof you gave): If ##\sup B = +\infty##, there is nothing to prove. So we may assume that ##\sup B < +\infty##. Recall that ##\sup B## is by definition an upperbound for all elements in ##B##, thus also for all elements of ##A## because ##A \subseteq B##. By definition of supremum, we must have ##\sup A \leq \sup B## (##\sup A## is the smallest upper bound for ##A## and ##\sup B## is an upper bound for ##A##).

Since, ##\{x_j: j \geq n\} \supseteq \{x_j: j \geq n+1\}##, this will allow you to conclude that ##y_n \geq y_{n+1}##, which is what you want.

1. What is induction and why is it needed to prove monotonicity?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that involves showing that a statement holds for a base case, and then assuming it holds for a general case and proving it for the next case. It is needed to prove monotonicity because it allows us to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing for all values, not just a few specific ones.

2. Can I use other proof techniques besides induction to prove monotonicity?

Yes, there are other proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive that can also be used to prove monotonicity. However, induction is often the most efficient and straightforward method for proving monotonicity.

3. Is induction necessary for all sequences to prove monotonicity?

No, not all sequences require induction to prove monotonicity. Some sequences may have a clear pattern or formula that can be used to directly show that it is increasing or decreasing without the need for induction.

4. Can I use induction to prove monotonicity for both increasing and decreasing sequences?

Yes, induction can be used to prove monotonicity for both increasing and decreasing sequences. The only difference is in the direction of the inequality used in the induction step.

5. Are there any tips for using induction to prove monotonicity?

One tip is to carefully choose the base case and induction hypothesis to ensure that the proof will hold for all values in the sequence. It can also be helpful to draw a graph or make a table of values to better understand the pattern of the sequence and guide the induction proof.