Do I need knowledge of trigonometry for this course?

In summary, the PreCalculus course is an intensive preparation for calculus, focusing on topics such as algebraic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions, conic sections, sequences, series, and mathematical induction. While Trigonometry is not specifically offered, it may be beneficial to have a strong understanding of it before taking the course. However, this is not necessary as the course will cover the basics and can be learned intuitively. It may be helpful to study Trigonometry on your own before or after the course if you have the time. The most important concepts to focus on are radian measures, the unit circle, and its relationship to sine, cosine, and tangent.
Johnx014
I've started community college after being out of school for a while. I started with Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Geometry: I have a strong grasp on all three. The next class offered at my school is Precalculus. Trig is not offered.

The PreCalc course description
"An intensive preparation for calculus. This course is intended for computer science, engineering, mathematics, and natural science majors. Topics include algebraic, exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions and their inverses and identities, conic sections, sequences, series, the binomial theorem and mathematical induction."

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Best to ask the professor this question. But usually, precalculus does not require any trig. Instead, most precalculus classes will actually introduce the necessary trig.

The Trigonometry included in Pre-Calculus is intense, and almost but not quite as thorough as a regular semester-long Trigonometry course. If you have the time, you could find and study from a good Trigonometry textbook on your own either before your Pre-Calculus course begins, or after it ends. If so done, spend at least 3 to 4 months to study Trigonometry as fully as a normal semester course.

It may help to know how the trig functions work (as it would be good to know anything about a class before it starts), but it's far from necessary. I'd argue it's overkill, since trig can be taught very intuitively, and your class is probably only going to cover the basics (ask you professor about this though). If you've done well in Algebra up to this point you should be fine.

If you're really anxious though and you have 8 hours to blow, just do problems from any old trig book after watching some video lectures or go on Khan Academy and kill two birds with one stone. Again though, you should be fine. Learning to factor for the first time is harder than learning trig for most of the students I've tutored for the last two years (and I mainly tutor algebra and trig students with some physics strewn in).

I'd argue the best things for you to work though are how radian measures work, how they relate to each other in a unit circle, and how the unit circle relates to sine, cosine, and tangent. Know those things and the rest of trig is putty in your lap.

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it is used in a wide range of fields, such as engineering, physics, and navigation, to solve problems involving angles and distances.

2. Is trigonometry necessary for this course?

It depends on the specific course and its requirements. Some courses may require a basic understanding of trigonometry, while others may not use it at all. It is best to check the course syllabus or consult with the instructor to determine if trigonometry is needed.

3. Can I learn the necessary trigonometry skills while taking this course?

Yes, many courses provide a brief review of trigonometry concepts before delving into more complex applications. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic trigonometry before attempting more advanced topics.

4. What are the key concepts of trigonometry that I should know for this course?

The key concepts of trigonometry include the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent), right triangle trigonometry, and the unit circle. It is also helpful to understand basic trigonometric identities and how to solve trigonometric equations.

5. Are there any resources available to help me improve my trigonometry skills for this course?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, to help improve your trigonometry skills. It may also be helpful to seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions provided by the course instructor.