Do I need ODE and PDE for differential topology?

  1. I am a senior in mathematics studying graduate point-set topoology atm. I am thinking I want to study differential topology in graduate school and maybe apply it to problems in cosmology. Do I need to take more ODE and PDE? I took intro to diff eq- the one that all engineering undergrads take. Is that enough? I would assume not but I may be surprised. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. quasar987

    quasar987 4,770
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    You don't need any special knowledge about diff equ. to study the basics of differential topology as in, say, the book by Hirsch or Guillemin & Pollack.
  4. And even if you did, it would be a DE course for mathematics students (one that does proofs) and not a DE course for engineers (one that does "what is it useful for?").
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?