Do I really want to go into Engineering?

• Thread starter jey1234
  • Start date
So I am doing my last year oh high school and chose Pure & Applied Science for CEGEP next year (College-Quebec educational system). I chose it because that's the science program most students wishing to enter engineering take, since the other science program is Health Science. Anyways I think I may be having second thoughts now. I am not sure if science is my greatest passion. Because both my brother and my sister are comp engineers and I fear that my choice may have been influenced by them. Now I'm not saying I don't like science. Far from it!

I get very good marks in Physics, Chem and Math with very little studying, if any at all. For example last term I got 100% in Math, 97% Physics and 95% Chem. I absolutely love math. I've always liked problem solving and I always want to try different approaches at problems. I also enjoy physics because it has so much math in there and the theory is fun to understand. I don't like chem as much because I find it requires a lot of memorizing and very little math. I also learn stuff pretty quick.

The problem is I am interested in many things like Science, History, and Politics. I don't know which one is my greatest passion. If I do go into Engineering, I don't know which specialization I prefer. I probably think I'd like Electrical or Computer. However, I know from my siblings that Comp is a very bad choice, opportunity-wise, atleast here in Quebec. I think I might be rambling now. :D Anyways. thanks.

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll tell you right off, I don't know much about the Quebec educational system, so I don't know how relevant my advice will be.

In the first year or two at a university, the required classes for most science and engineering majors are very similar. This means you don't have to make up your mind right away which specialization you prefer. Your experiences in your classes will give you insight about what you like best (hopefully :smile:!) and in a year or two, you'll have an idea of what direction to go.

As far as history and politics, is there a way you can take a sampling of classes to see if you enjoy them? Is that allowed once you're in the P&AS track?