Want to go to eng grad school, will a bad lab grade affect this?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
dj246
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I am currently a senior at a no name liberal arts college studying math and physics. I am unsure about want I want to do in the future, but I am considering engineering for graduate school in the far future. Field yet to be determined.

Last year I took an advance physics lab course and absolutely bombed the class because I bit off more than I could chew in terms of all the classes I was taking. I ended up with a C for a final grade :(*

I don't really want to take the class again because I really didn't like it. Next semester is the last chance I have to retake it in hopes of getting a better grade. My question is, is it worth retaking? Will engineering graduate schools really care that *I bombed one class if I did well in all my other classes? Will I still have a good shot at getting into the top 75 engineering grad programs with this one C?*I'd prefer not to take the class again, especially final semester of senior year, because it's a lot of work.*

Just to give you some background, I've gotten A's and A-'s in all of my other physics classes. Similar with math (except 1B and 1 B-). My GPA is 3.72.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One bad grade will not keep you from getting into a good graduate program.

It's a pattern of bad grades that's a problem.
 
Eng grad school and bad grades

I'm an undergrad senior who is a *physics major. I plan on going into engineering for graduate school.

Last year I took an advance physics lab course and got a C because I was overworked.

I don't really want to take the class again because I really didn't like it. My question is, should i retake the class? Especially since it's a lab course and engineering is all about applications? Will engineering graduate schools really care that *I got a C if I did well in all my other classes? Will I still have a good shot at getting into the top 30 grad schools?*

Just to give you some background, I've gotten A's and A-'s in all of my other physics classes. Similar with math (except 1B and 1 B-). My GPA is 3.72.
 
Graduate admissions generally looks at the over-all candidate; this includes your transcript(s), test scores (GRE, etc), and letters of recommendation. How you did in one isolated course is not likely to make a difference.