Do Orthogonal Polynomials have always real zeros ?

In summary: I have no idea what you're trying to ask.In summary, the question asked is whether orthogonal polynomials always have real zeros, given that they are eigenfunctions of a self-adjoint operator with a real spectrum. Examples of such polynomials include Legendre and Chebyshev polynomials, which are commonly used in computing quadrature formulae. However, the concept of "orthogonal polynomials" is not well-defined and it is unclear what the question is trying to ask.
zetafunction
Do Orthogonal Polynomials have always real zeros ??

the idea is , do orthogonal polynomials [tex] p_{n} (x) [/tex] have always REAl zeros ?

for example n=2 there is a second order polynomial with 2 real zeros

if we consider that there is a self-adjoint operator L so [tex] L[p_{n} (x)]= \mu _{n} p_{n} (x) [/tex] if the orthogonal POLYNOMIALS are eigenfunctions of an operator with a real spectrum are ALL the zeros real ? , and if all the zeros are REAL can they be related to the spectrum of L ??

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "orthogonal polynomials"? I know what "orthogonal sets of polynomials" are but there are many different such sets. I can't think of any polynomials that would qualify as simply "orthogonal polynomials" without further requirements.

i meant

[tex] p_{n} (x) [/tex] is a Polynomial.

let be 'n' and 'm' integers then , there is a weight function so

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} dx w(x) p_{n}(x).p_{m}(x)= \delta _{m}^{n} [/tex]

this polynomial [tex] p_{n} (x) [/tex] or set of polinomial dependent on the index 'n' are eigenfunctions of a certain operator L with Real spectrum

for example , Legendre, Chebyshev, Polynomials seem to have real roots only and are used to compute quadrature formulae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_quadrature

Many ortho polynomial sets have p0(x)=1.

zetafunction said:
i meant

[tex] p_{n} (x) [/tex] is a Polynomial.

let be 'n' and 'm' integers then , there is a weight function so

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} dx w(x) p_{n}(x).p_{m}(x)= \delta _{m}^{n} [/tex]

this polynomial [tex] p_{n} (x) [/tex] or set of polinomial dependent on the index 'n' are eigenfunctions of a certain operator L with Real spectrum

for example , Legendre, Chebyshev, Polynomials seem to have real roots only and are used to compute quadrature formulae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_quadrature
That's what I thought you meant. "Orthogonal polynomials" are "orthogonal sets of polynomials". Your question doesn't make sense because there is no such thing as an "orthogonal polynomial". Given any function f(x) over some interval, there exists a set of functions, including f(x), that is "orthogonal".

1. What are orthogonal polynomials?

Orthogonal polynomials are a type of mathematical function that satisfy a specific orthogonality condition when integrated over a specific interval. These polynomials are commonly used in various areas of mathematics and physics.

2. What is the significance of real zeros in orthogonal polynomials?

The real zeros of orthogonal polynomials have important implications in applications such as numerical analysis and approximation theory. These zeros can be used to construct efficient algorithms for computing the polynomial and can also provide information about the behavior of the polynomial on a given interval.

3. Do all orthogonal polynomials have real zeros?

No, not all orthogonal polynomials have real zeros. Some polynomials may have complex zeros, which can still satisfy the orthogonality condition. However, many commonly studied orthogonal polynomials, such as Legendre and Chebyshev polynomials, do have real zeros.

4. Can orthogonal polynomials have repeated real zeros?

Yes, orthogonal polynomials can have repeated real zeros. For example, the Legendre polynomials have repeated zeros at the endpoints of their interval. In some cases, the number of repeated real zeros can provide information about the degree of the polynomial.

5. How are orthogonal polynomials used in practical applications?

Orthogonal polynomials have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They can be used for numerical integration, curve fitting, solving differential equations, and more. In addition, many mathematical methods and algorithms rely on properties of orthogonal polynomials to efficiently compute solutions.