Do rivers and whirlpools of spacetime exist with superluminal flow?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spacetime
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
Do rivers (conduits) or whirlpools (sinks and sources) of spacetime exist, which deform as linear, spiral or chaotic flow, eventually accelerate superluminally relative to nearby spacetime?
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
"Spacetime" is a coordinate system.

- Warren
 
...whose topology can deform in time and space like the above-mentioned "river" or "whirlpool." I asked whether sheared or chiral spacetime may develop singularities spontaneously from their displaced geometry.
 
Originally posted by Loren Booda
Do rivers (conduits) or whirlpools (sinks and sources) of spacetime exist, which deform as linear, spiral or chaotic flow, eventually accelerate superluminally relative to nearby spacetime?

Regarding "whirlpools" I would say, yes. I think that is exactly what frame-dragging is.

"Rivers" are a little more difficult to imagine a cause for, but I suppose that they might exist. As for accelerating superluminally, I highly doubt it.
 
Originally posted by Loren Booda
Do rivers (conduits) or whirlpools (sinks and sources) of spacetime exist, which deform as linear, spiral or chaotic flow, eventually accelerate superluminally relative to nearby spacetime?
Well, they say there's no actual limmit on the
"velocity" of space-time itself, so why not ?

Live long and prosper.