Do Semi-Porous Transparent Membranes for Glucose Transport Exist?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Rhydo
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Hi!

My friends and I have been working on a project which encapsulates the use of semi porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules through them in one direction.

Does such a membrane already exist? Where can I get literature on the construction and/or existence of such materials? Also are such membranes used in contact lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rhydo said:
Hi!

My friends and I have been working on a project which encapsulates the use of semi porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules through them in one direction.

Does such a membrane already exist? Where can I get literature on the construction and/or existence of such materials? Also are such membranes used in contact lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.

Basically I think such a thing does not exist.
In dialysis substances like glucose pass through a membrane in both directions. But the result is that more will pass from the side where it is more concentrated to the side where it is less.
Then there is ultrafiltration where solvent passes through a membrane under pressure. Low MW molecules go with it and higher MW do not pass the membrane.

So on a molecular weight basis some molecules can pass slower than others. Probably there are membranes more specific about what they pass, particularly on basis of charge.

There is also electrodialysis.

Have a look at the commercial literature, brochures etc.
 
epenguin said:
Basically I think such a thing does not exist.
In dialysis substances like glucose pass through a membrane in both directions. But the result is that more will pass from the side where it is more concentrated to the side where it is less.

Thanks for that! We were actually looking for something that would allow glucose to move in just one direction. So 'dialysis tubing' was something that we were looking into. Now I suppose we can start with some experiments!