Do the premises of a theory have to be empirical?

• Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the premises and elements of a theory do not necessarily have to be empirical, but it is generally more logical for them to be based on reality in order to make accurate predictions. The scientific method involves testing theories against reality and simplifying them to make more accurate predictions. In the case of cognitive and evolutionary psychology, the theories may be logically equivalent with the data but not necessarily based on the real world.
Cinitiator
Since there's no board dedicated to the methodology of science, I thought that this board would be the best fit. Here's my question:
Do the premises and elements of a theory have to be empirical? Or do they not have to be, as long as the theory is consistent with the observed data? By consistent I mean that the conclusion seems to be true, but the premises aren't empirical.

I'm asking because from what I've seen, cognitive psychology relies on mental "modules" to explain empirical data. These modules can't actually be observed empirically, but the results put forward by the theories which rely on these non-empirical concepts seem to be more or less consistent with the evidence up to date.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can premises be empirical? They can be inspired by experiments, of course.

One example:
"The speed of light is constant for all observers". How can you ever observe this? You cannot measure the speed of light in any possible reference frame. You can measure it in many, and assume that it is true for all (and check it with more measurements).

Cinitiator said:
Since there's no board dedicated to the methodology of science, I thought that this board would be the best fit. Here's my question:
Do the premises and elements of a theory have to be empirical? Or do they not have to be, as long as the theory is consistent with the observed data? By consistent I mean that the conclusion seems to be true, but the premises aren't empirical.

I'm asking because from what I've seen, cognitive psychology relies on mental "modules" to explain empirical data. These modules can't actually be observed empirically, but the results put forward by the theories which rely on these non-empirical concepts seem to be more or less consistent with the evidence up to date.

No, they don't HAVE to be empirical, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them NOT to be since the FIRST thing you have to do with a theory is test it against reality.

I mean, the first step in a theory is a guess and you could just make some wild guess, but it's not likely to reflect reality if it isn't in some way based on reality and as soon as you take the next step and COMPARE it to reality, most times, you won't have a theory any more, you're just back to having a guess that's wrong.

EDIT: look up the on-line video of Feynman talking about the scientific method.

phinds said:
No, they don't HAVE to be empirical, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them NOT to be since the FIRST thing you have to do with a theory is test it against reality.

I mean, the first step in a theory is a guess and you could just make some wild guess, but it's not likely to reflect reality if it isn't in some way based on reality and as soon as you take the next step and COMPARE it to reality, most times, you won't have a theory any more, you're just back to having a guess that's wrong.

EDIT: look up the on-line video of Feynman talking about the scientific method.

Thanks for the video suggestion, I will watch it.

A theory can explain the data and yet not be based in the real world, though. It can be logically equivalent for a given moment with our data. Cognitive and evolutionary psychology is a good example of this.

Cinitiator said:
Do the premises and elements of a theory have to be empirical?
No. You can postulate whatever you want. If it makes predictions which are testable and agree with experiment it is a good physical theory, no matter how you came up with that stuff.

However:
1) Only the postulates that affect the quantitative predictions are physics.
2) A simpler theory, with less postulates, making the same predictions, makes a complicated one obsolete.

A.T. said:
2) A simpler theory, with less postulates, making the same predictions, makes a complicated one obsolete.

And likewise a more complicated one that explains more of the real world can make a less complicted one obsolete. E.G. GR vs Newton's gravity (may not the BEST example, since Newton isn't exactly obsolete, just known to be very limited).

1. What does it mean for a theory to have empirical premises?

Empirical premises refer to the fact that a theory is based on observations and evidence from the natural world, rather than just abstract ideas or assumptions.

2. Why are empirical premises important in a scientific theory?

Empirical premises are crucial in a scientific theory because they provide the foundation for the theory and its predictions. They allow us to test the validity of the theory and make revisions or improvements based on new evidence.

3. Can a theory without empirical premises still be considered scientific?

No, a theory without empirical premises would not be considered scientific. The scientific method relies on empirical evidence to test and support theories, so a theory without this basis would not be considered a valid scientific theory.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a theory must have empirical premises?

In some fields, such as mathematics or philosophy, theories may not necessarily have empirical premises. However, in the natural sciences, empirical evidence is essential for a theory to be considered scientific.

5. Can empirical premises change over time?

Yes, empirical premises can change over time as new evidence is discovered and our understanding of the natural world evolves. This is why scientific theories are constantly being tested and revised, in order to account for new empirical data.