Do the SU(n) generators represent any observables?

In summary, the conversation is about the role of matrices in Yang-Mills gauge theory and whether they represent important observable quantities. The speaker mentions the Pauli and Gell-Mann matrices and questions their bizarre eigenvalues. They also ask about the relevance of adjoint operators. The responder clarifies that matrices are just used for calculations and the true observables in Quantum Field Theory are scattering cross sections or probabilities. However, the speaker then asks about the importance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in understanding the theory's structure and properties.
tomdodd4598
Hey there,

I've recently been trying to get my head around Yang-Mills gauge theory and was just wandering: do the Pauli matrices for su(2), Gell-Mann matrices for su(3), etc. represent any important observable quantities? After all, they are Hermitian operators and act on the doublets and triplets of the theories, but have bizarre eigenvalues that I can't get my head around. If so, what are they, and if not, why not? What about the adjoint operators?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In Quantum Field Theory, "observables" really stands for something (mathematical quantity) which can be measured in the lab. Scattering cross sections or scattering probabilities are the observables of the theory. Matrices (Pauli, Dirac, Gell-Mann) are just calculation input parameters.

Likes vanhees71
dextercioby said:
Matrices (Pauli, Dirac, Gell-Mann) are just calculation input parameters.
Ok, perhaps I should ask a slightly different question then - are the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of these matrices important? Do they not tell us anything useful about the structure of the theory, and do they not tell us about weak isospin, hypercharge, colour charge, etc? Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

1. What is SU(n)?

SU(n) is a specific type of symmetry group in mathematics, known as a special unitary group. It consists of all n x n complex matrices with determinant equal to 1, and is often used to represent the symmetries of quantum systems.

2. What are generators in SU(n)?

Generators in SU(n) refer to the fundamental building blocks of the group, which can be used to generate all other elements through a combination of matrix multiplication and exponentiation. In simpler terms, they are the "ingredients" that make up the group and allow for its manipulation.

3. How do the generators relate to observables?

The generators in SU(n) do not directly represent observables in a physical sense. Instead, they are mathematical operators that can be used to describe the symmetries of a quantum system. These symmetries, in turn, can be related to physical observables through the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the generators be measured in experiments?

No, the generators in SU(n) cannot be directly measured in experiments. They are mathematical constructs that help us understand the symmetries of quantum systems, but they do not have a physical manifestation that can be measured.

5. Are there other types of symmetry groups besides SU(n)?

Yes, there are many other types of symmetry groups in mathematics, including SO(n) (special orthogonal group), U(n) (unitary group), and Sp(n) (symplectic group). Each of these groups has its own set of generators and properties, and they are used to describe different types of symmetries in various fields of physics and mathematics.