Understanding Weak Isospin in SU(2) Gauge Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of quarks and gauge bosons in different gauge groups, specifically SU(3) and SU(2). It is mentioned that in SU(3), quarks have 3 charges known as "colors" and there are 8 gauge bosons in the adjoint representation. In SU(2), fermions are in the fundamental representation and have 2 charges, and there are 3 gauge bosons. The conversation then delves into the concept of weak isospin and its role in the symmetry breaking of the SU(2) group. It is explained that I3 is important because it is associated with the neutral gauge boson and plays a role in the mixing of fields. Finally,
In QCD, quark is in fundamental representation of SU(3) and thus it has to have 3 charges (what we came to call "colors"). Gauge bosons are in adjoint representation and there are 8 of them. The choice how to assign color charges to them is not unique, one popular choice is based on Gell-Mann matrices. Wiki has a good layman explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluon

Naively, I would expect that in SU(2) gauge theory, fermions are in its fundamental representation and thus have to have 2 charges. And it is "sort of" true - in SM, the "up" and "down" labels for quarks are basically those charges (and for leptons too: charged leptons carry "down" charge, neutrinos are "ups").

There are 3 gauge bosons in (unbroken) SU(2): W1, W2 and W3.

Is it possible to assign these charges, call them "flavor charges", to W1/2/3 bosons (say, based on Pauli matrices, analogously to gluons' colors)? Like this:

##(u\bar{d}+d\bar{u})/\sqrt{2}##
##-i(u\bar{d}-d\bar{u})/\sqrt{2}##
##(u\bar{u}-d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}##

But when SU(2) gauge symmetry is mentioned in SM, this is never written like this. Somehow it simplifies to a single charge, weak isospin. This part I don't understand. How does it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unlike the SU(3) colour group, the SU(2) of the SM is a spontaneously broken symmetry.

We use weak isospin because it is convenient after symmetry breaking. If you base a Yang-Mills theory on SU(2) without symmetry breaking you will have a generator of the SU(2) representation a field transforms according to in its interaction vertex with the gauge boson. The gauge bosons themselves transform according to the adjoint representation.

Orodruin said:
Unlike the SU(3) colour group, the SU(2) of the SM is a spontaneously broken symmetry

Sure, I know that. So, if you would need to describe an unbroken SU(2), you would need two "flavor charges", right?

We use weak isospin because it is convenient after symmetry breaking.

I suspect so. Basically, I'm asking for a more detailed explanation.

If you base a Yang-Mills theory on SU(2) without symmetry breaking you will have a generator of the SU(2) representation a field transforms according to in its interaction vertex with the gauge boson. The gauge bosons themselves transform according to the adjoint representation.

I think that's what I said in my introductory explanation.

nikkkom said:
you would need two "flavor charges", right?
aren't you already getting it when you introduce tha I3?

ChrisVer said:
aren't you already getting it when you introduce tha I3?

Doesn't look like it to me.
As I understand it, the charge which is just a number (can be positive or negative) is a feature of gauge groups with only one generator. Electromagnetism has electric charge. U(1) subgroup of electroweak group has weak hypercharge.

QCD has more than one generator and has three charges associated with it, not one.

SU(2) subgroup of electroweak group has more than one generator. Shouldn't it have more than one charge?

Of course, since charges are conserved (in unbroken symmetry), any linear combination of them is conserved too. Thus, if I3 is defined as I3 = 1/2 (u - d), it will also be a conserved quantity. (For example, any up quark carries one +1up charge, thus its I3 = +1/2. W+ boson carries +1up and -1down charges, thus its I3 is +1).

But this seems to be arbitrary. I can construct any number of such quantities. Say Z = r + 2g - 3b would be conserved in QCD (since r,g,b are individually conserved). It does not make Z useful.

I'm thinking there is an explanation for why I3? Maybe try starting from what "third component of" weak isospin means, and what happened to first and second conponents?

nikkkom said:
QCD has more than one generator and has three charges associated with it, not one.
No it doesnt. It has one charge, color charge. That charge is a unit vector in a three dimensional complex space.

It the same way an SU(2) charge is a unit vector in a two-dimensional complex plane.

What makes I3 so important is its role in SSB as it is associated with the neutral gauge boson that mixes with the hypercharge boson to become the photon and Z fields. As a consequence, electric charge is a linear combination of I3 and hypercharge.

as for why the 3rd and not the 1st or the 2nd, it's just a matter of convention on which component's base you write stuff... in complete analogy to why we are using the 3rd component of the spin and not the other 2 (which can be expressed as a linear combination of the 3rd's due to completeness)

1. What is SU(2) gauge QFT?

SU(2) gauge QFT stands for special unitary group (SU) of order 2 in quantum field theory (QFT). It is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. How does SU(2) gauge QFT explain charges?

In SU(2) gauge QFT, charges are described by the gauge fields, which are quantities that determine the strength of interactions between particles. These gauge fields are represented by matrices, and the charges are determined by the values of these matrices.

3. What role does symmetry play in SU(2) gauge QFT?

Symmetry is a fundamental concept in SU(2) gauge QFT. The SU(2) group represents a symmetry of rotations in three-dimensional space, and this symmetry is used to describe the interactions between particles and their charges.

4. How is the structure of SU(2) gauge QFT related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The SU(2) gauge QFT is a key component of the Standard Model, which is the current theoretical framework for describing the fundamental particles and their interactions. In the Standard Model, SU(2) gauge QFT is used to describe the behavior of the weak nuclear force.

5. What are the practical applications of SU(2) gauge QFT?

SU(2) gauge QFT is essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and quantum computing. It also provides a mathematical framework for studying the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider.