Do two boxes expand equally with temperature if one has a Hole?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the expansion of two boxes of the same material and size, one with a hole, when heated to the same temperature. The example of a metal disk being cut into a small disk and a ring, and then heated, is used to explain the concept. The question is whether the diameter of the ring will shrink when the small disk is removed, and it is concluded that there will be no change.
Suppose we have two boxes of same material and same size but one have a hole in it and if we raise the temperature with equal amount then does two box expand equally?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi.
Interesting. Let me clear the idea you seem to have.
There is a metal disk. We cut it apart with a small disk and a ring part and keep them assembled.
We heat them up. The diameter of the disk grows. Then we take the small disk out. Does the diameter of the disk, now the ring, shrink ?

It seems no change to me.

Likes weirdoguy and berkeman
mitochan said:
Hi.
Interesting. Let me clear the idea you seem to have.
There is a metal disk. We cut it apart with a small disk and a ring part and keep them assembled.
We heat them up. The diameter of the disk grows. Then we take the small disk out. Does the diameter of the disk, now the ring, shrink ?

It seems no change to me.
Thanks a lot sir 😇

Likes berkeman

1. Do the boxes expand at the same rate?

No, the box with the hole will expand at a slightly slower rate due to the hole providing a release of pressure.

2. Will the hole affect the expansion of the box?

Yes, the hole will affect the expansion of the box as it allows for a release of pressure and prevents the box from expanding at the same rate as the box without a hole.

3. How does the size of the hole affect the expansion of the box?

The size of the hole will have a direct impact on the rate of expansion of the box. The larger the hole, the more pressure will be released and the slower the expansion of the box will be.

4. Can the hole be used to control the expansion of the box?

Yes, the size and placement of the hole can be used to control the rate of expansion of the box. A larger hole will result in slower expansion, while a smaller hole will result in faster expansion.

5. How does the temperature affect the expansion of the boxes?

The temperature has a direct impact on the expansion of the boxes. As the temperature increases, both boxes will expand, but the box with the hole will expand at a slower rate due to the release of pressure through the hole.

Suggested for: Do two boxes expand equally with temperature if one has a Hole?

Back