Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do University Physics Departments allow EE Ph.D.'s to teach Physics?

  1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    I'm a 2nd BS Physics student with a strong interest in Computer Science. I probably won't have time to double major, so I'll have at least a CS minor along with the Physics degree. I'd like to enter doctoral studies afterwards, and it's a toss-up between Applied Physics and EE.

    My career goals are to have an environment where I'm involved in industry (software/hardware/startup space), while remaining open to teaching opportunities. Would an EE Ph.D. bar me from teaching Physics courses, even if it was just lower-division courses on an adjunct, or Assistant Professorship basis?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2
    If you're comfortable being a Lecturer or Adjunct, you could certainly find a teaching job, particularly at a 2-year school. Keep in mind that it's semi-volunteer work, the pay is so low. My physics 1 and 2 professor at community college was an EE, had a masters in that field, and was going to grad school for his PhD in physics.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook