Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do vacuum fluctuations contribute to vacuum polarization

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
    My question is, if only from a real particle emitted and absorbed virtual photons that make vacuum-polarzation (decay in virtual e-e+) do contribute to the shielding of this real particle.

Or can also vacuum fluctuations that pop in and out of existence contribute to the shielding of the charge of a real particle (I mean vacuum fluctations that are independently there wheter a real particle is there or not)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    Vacuum fluctuations are independent of the presence of any particle. They are a property of the vacuum, that is all.

YES, they contribute to the vacuum polarization. As a matter of fact, this polarization is defined based upon these fluctuations. For example in the case of the EM-interaction, mediated by virtual photons, this polarization is defined as the self energy of the photon-propagator. Thus, the vacuum is replaced by a dielectric (ie the vacuum polarization) that influences the EM going on. More specifically, the "virtual dipoles" (virtual particle:anti particle pairs) will align themselves with the electric fields in order to reduce the potential energy of the system

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    Thanks. That is all I wanted to know. I see, marlon, with you the master of theoretical physics is back.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?