Do you beleive numbers effect our personality?

• Thread starter Kalrag
  • Start date

Do you beleive in Numerology?

• Total voters
As a school project I would like to ask if you beleive in numerology (The study of numbers on human affairs). So all I need you to do is post and vote yes or no. And if you want too you can state your opinion.

Evo

Mentor
It's nonsense, but I'll allow the poll since people like voting.

As a school project I would like to ask if you beleive in numerology (The study of numbers on human affairs). So all I need you to do is post and vote yes or no. And if you want too you can state your opinion.
It depends on what we mean when we say a number, if we are talking about numerology then no, it's a load of rubbish, if we mean numbers such as the fine-structure constant then it does have a large impact on human life at least.

For me it's as above, numerology = load of BS. I suppose numbers as in bank related, certainly.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No, not at all. I don't believe in the supernatural.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Of course, I only listen to advice from fortune tellers.

Sure they do. You think we behave the same whatever we have 100 Euros or 1000000 in a back account ?

C

Containment

If you use very general loose terms you don't have to be very accurate with your predictions because they encompass a wide enough range they will work for most everyone. However it might be possible that statistically people born in month xyz are more likely to have kids on xyz date or have a parent pass away ect i'm not totally sure about that.

If you use very general loose terms you don't have to be very accurate with your predictions because they encompass a wide enough range they will work for most everyone. However it might be possible that statistically people born in month xyz are more likely to have kids on xyz date or have a parent pass away ect i'm not totally sure about that.
Thats not really an example of how numbers can affect people though.

cobalt124

Gold Member
Numbers only have an effect to the extent people allow them to. So no, wait yes. ermm...

BS, they make this junk up as they go along.

Correlation doesn't mean causation. 666 anyone ?

DavidSnider

Gold Member
Maybe in sort of the same way Astrology affects some people's personality.

While everyone possess all the attributes for all the different zodiac signs to certain degrees, just having the idea float around that people born during your time of the year have a certain affinity for that attribute might actually make them develop that attribute to a higher degree.

So for example Pisces may actually be statistically more shy, introspective, feminine, whatever, but not because of the stars, but because of a labeling bias.

I saw an interesting news item recently where as a sort of marketing joke an insurance company posted accident rates by zodiac signs and they got a ton of complaints from people thinking this was one of there real actuarial variables. They had to send out a press release saying it wasn't. Though I was curious why not if it's statistically true.

Last edited:

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I went with "no" on the poll.

I assumed the questions dealt specifically with numerology, i.e., numbers such as the how many letters in your name, etc. There is a caveat though. I believe that numerological watchammacallits may have a placebo-like effect on people that believe in numerology.

Not english letters and numbers though. Only Hebrew. Thank you, don't ask me. The study is way too advanced for me. I just know scholars of Talmud who have found evidence of this.

Borek

Mentor
I voted no. At the same time number 50 starts to play more and more important role in my life, so to some extent I should vote yes :grumpy:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you're talking about the number of $s, then yes.

I think being good at messin' with numbers can predispose you to being overly confident in your intelligence. But it's not necessarily anything more than a correlation.

disregardthat

Science Advisor
I think being good at messin' with numbers can predispose you to being overly confident in your intelligence. But it's not necessarily anything more than a correlation.
Quite on the contrary, I find it more common that mathematicians places uselessness at basic arithmetic as more of a positive trait, half-jokingly perhaps.

Evo

Mentor
Quite on the contrary, I find it more common that mathematicians "brag" about their uselessness at basic arithmetic.
This has nothing to do with math, it's about the supernatural. Numerology is supernatural. I hope you understood that when you voted.

This has nothing to do with math, it's about the supernatural. Numerology is supernatural. I hope you understood that when you voted.
I don't think anyone here read the OP before thinking about their response.

disregardthat

Science Advisor
Are you supervising and commenting on personal votes? Mind you I did it for fun and effect, but I didn't expect to be ratted out! Of course I know the issue and is probably of the same opinion of you about numerology, but I was commenting directly to TylerH's statement.

Evo

Mentor
I don't think anyone here read the OP before thinking about their response.
Some did, some didn't, some don't know what numerology is.

Evo

Mentor
Are you supervising and commenting on personal votes? Mind you I did it for fun and effect, but I didn't expect to be ratted out! Of course I know the issue and is probably of same opinion of you, but I was commenting directly to TylerH's statement.
The vote is a public poll, you can see who voted by clicking on the number of votes. I'm afraid some people are voting as a joke and skewing the OP's results.

disregardthat

Science Advisor
The vote is a public poll, you can see who voted by clicking on the number of votes.
I wasn't aware, that's too bad. In any case I think you see that I wasn't commenting on OP's question.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving