Do you combine career with personal life?

In summary: I did learn a few new techniques). And I continue to use mental math techniques, especially when I have to do calculations in my head.In summary, Jake says that he tries to do hobbies that are related to intelligence growth, such as learning Portuguese, playing the guitar, going to the gym, and lately trying to learn programming. He also says that he tries to be a well-rounded geek, and that his hobbies do not have to be for a reason. He believes that attitude towards learning is more important than anything else when it comes to improving cognition. Lastly, he says that reading a book on memory training and practicing mental math when he was teenager was worth it.
Luois Mers
I am a mechanical engineering major and I try to focus all my entire life in the direction of getting the degree and finding a work where I can do what I truly like.
In general I try to do hobbies very related to "intelligence" growth, for example: I'm learning Portuguese, playing the guitar, going to the gym, and lately I've been trying to take programming as a hobby and learn new concepts as well.

Do you try with your free time doing things that definitely think would improve your cognition and your career in engineering or science ?

What do you do enjoy doing to improve your brain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I try and be a pretty well rounded geek, with a geeky approach to most of my recreational and hobby activities.

Likes Dishsoap
I don't think of it that way. I'm curious, and I pursue my curiosity. I do things because they're fun.

It doesn't have to be for a reason.

Likes elkement
What Jake said. Do what you want. If you enjoy a hobby, you'll be a better person overall, and your work performance will go up.

Some of my hobbies do tie into what I do. For instance, I enjoy amateur astronomy, and in this I've learned quite a bit of optics and astrophysics, mostly because I'm too cheap to buy equipment so I make it myself.

On the other hand, I play the ukulele. The ukulele! This has nothing to do with physics or any other part of my life, but it's a good way to relieve stress, and so I'm a better person because of it.

Dishsoap said:
What Jake said. Do what you want. If you enjoy a hobby, you'll be a better person overall, and your work performance will go up.

Some of my hobbies do tie into what I do. For instance, I enjoy amateur astronomy, and in this I've learned quite a bit of optics and astrophysics, mostly because I'm too cheap to buy equipment so I make it myself.

On the other hand, I play the ukulele. The ukulele! This has nothing to do with physics or any other part of my life, but it's a good way to relieve stress, and so I'm a better person because of it.

Ukulele is plenty of physics, although you might not emphasize any of it when playing for enjoyment or learning. The back and sides vibrate; the instrument is composed mostly of tone-woods, called that because acoustic properties of the wood are important; if your instrument uses nylon strings, then you have the idea of "strings have memory", which means that the nylon strings will drift out of tune whenever you drastically and intentionally change the tuning, this tuning drift becoming less with time since the drastic tuning change. (Viscoelasticity).

JakeBrodskyPE said:
I don't think of it that way. I'm curious, and I pursue my curiosity. I do things because they're fun.

It doesn't have to be for a reason.

Dishsoap said:

You are right, I sometimes do a hobby even if I don't enjoy it just because the possible contributions to brain development, anyway I think attitude towards learning should be always more important.
Thank you all for your answers, really appreciate them :)

Luois Mers said:
Do you try with your free time doing things that definitely think would improve your cognition and your career in engineering or science ?

What do you do enjoy doing to improve your brain?

I don't think I do anything for the primary purpose of improving my cognition. There has to be something more in it for me.

I think it's also important to realize that you need down time and not everything needs to be about improving one specific goal. That helps you to put that much more effort into those things that you are doing to work towards your goal. Long term, diversifying your skill set can actually be beneficial to your career.

Likes Luois Mers
The only thing I did to improve my mental condition was read a book on training your memory and practice mental math while I was a teenager. Was it worth it? Yeah, I'd say so. I've always had a very good memory, so reading the book didn't do too much (though it did help), and the mental calculations was VERY worthwhile (being able to do quick calculations in your head is unbelievably useful).

But other than that, I agree that downtime is downright (haha I'm hilarious) essential. Everyone has to have something they do to unwind and relax. It doesn't even have to be mentally stimulating, or it can be mentally stimulating by way of unconscious thought, planning, or approaching problems differently (video games are actually super good for both unwinding and not turning your brain to mush as it turns out).

Definitely work out and keep your body healthy, too. I spent a great deal of my life out of shape and when I started getting healthier little by little I felt absolutely amazing by comparison. Having a healthy body really is one of the most important things for every aspect of your life. Everything that the fitness buffs say as far as working out helping you concentrate and whatnot is true.

Likes Luois Mers
Thank you guys, you gave me a broad perspective.

1. How do you balance your career and personal life?

Balancing career and personal life can be a challenge, but it is important to prioritize and set boundaries. This may involve setting specific work hours, delegating tasks, and making time for self-care and relationships outside of work.

2. Is it possible to have a successful career while also having a fulfilling personal life?

Yes, it is possible to have both a successful career and a fulfilling personal life. It may require good time management, effective communication, and making intentional decisions that align with your values and goals.

3. How do you handle work-life conflicts?

Work-life conflicts can be managed by setting clear priorities and boundaries, communicating effectively with colleagues and employers, and finding ways to integrate work and personal responsibilities. It may also involve seeking support from family, friends, or a therapist.

4. How can combining career and personal life benefit or hinder one another?

Combining career and personal life can have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, having a fulfilling personal life can bring happiness and motivation to excel in one's career. On the other hand, work stress or long hours can negatively impact personal relationships and well-being. It is important to find a balance that works for you.

5. What advice do you have for someone trying to balance their career and personal life?

My advice would be to prioritize self-care, set boundaries, and communicate openly with your employer and loved ones. It is also important to regularly reflect on your values and goals and make adjustments as needed. Remember that achieving a perfect balance may not always be possible, but finding a rhythm that works for you is key.