What Makes You Fear Death? Share Your Reasons Here

• Thread starter arevolutionist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of death and whether or not the participants fear it. Some express fear of the process leading to death or the numerous ailments and injuries that can come before it, while others believe that death is just a natural part of life and not something to be afraid of. Some mention the importance of living a healthy lifestyle to avoid suffering at the end of life, while others share personal experiences with death and the passing of loved ones. Ultimately, the consensus is that death is inevitable and there is no point in fearing it, but rather to focus on living a fulfilling life."

Do you fear death?

• No

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
arevolutionist
Do you fear death? Post your reason. I was inspired to post this by the "Death is..." post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who wouldn't fear a skeleton that speaks in SMALL CAPS?

Well I just put yes, but I guess it's more a fear of getting old to tell you the honest truth. I see having alzheimers or dementia as being dead and since that is my greatest fear 'yes' seemed the right choice for me.

Nope.. just clowns and David Hasslehoffs music.

I don't fear death, I fear the numerous ailments and injuries that can come before death. Once quality of life deteriorates to a level that is no longer bearable, death is usually welcomed.

I fear my it will end before I have managed to accomplish something truly meaningful with my life.

Evo said:
I don't fear death, I fear the numerous ailments and injuries that can come before death. Once quality of life deteriorates to a level that is no longer bearable, death is usually welcomed.

I voted no.

I have no fear of dying.

I do not fear living.

I do not fear debilitating illness at the end of my life, because I do not eat the S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) that is responsible for the majority of health problems associated with aging.

My grandmother died last Saturday. She had a long and relatively healthy life. Like most seniors however she was taking a plethora of medications as a result of the diet and lifestyle she lived.

Her passing was painless, she died at home in bed, surrounded by her loved ones. After having a long talk with my father, she went to sleep and never woke up.

Growing old does not mean you must suffer from the diseases that are commonly associated with old age. However the longer one waits to correct their diet, the harder it is for the body to heal itself. However the good news is that the body begins healing as soon as we stop damaging it.

Anyone who fears the only certainty in life is surely missing something?

I must confess that I dislike the probable fact that I am going to die, and would rather live forever young, healthy and ever-curious, but I can't say I fear death, though..

Skyhunter said:
I voted no.

I have no fear of dying.

I do not fear living.

I do not fear debilitating illness at the end of my life, because I do not eat the S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) that is responsible for the majority of health problems associated with aging.

My grandmother died last Saturday. She had a long and relatively healthy life. Like most seniors however she was taking a plethora of medications as a result of the diet and lifestyle she lived.

Her passing was painless, she died at home in bed, surrounded by her loved ones. After having a long talk with my father, she went to sleep and never woke up.

Growing old does not mean you must suffer from the diseases that are commonly associated with old age. However the longer one waits to correct their diet, the harder it is for the body to heal itself. However the good news is that the body begins healing as soon as we stop damaging it.

heh, you think that a good healthy diet will buy you a clean death? that just doesn't work this way, when one is in his 90's its most probable that he has a lot of diseases.
a good diet might increase your chance to live another 20 years, regardless, the last 10 years of your life, will probably not be a very joyful.

eh, about the topic, i don't fear death, though i fear the process leading to it.
we fear of feeling bad, whether its a mental or physical condition. a dead man, can feel nothing, therefor there is nothing to fear.

Death is the logical end to life, so what's to fear? That's not to say that I don't take steps to keep from dying unnecessarily. I have never shied away from doing things that I enjoyed, like downhill skiing just in control, white-water kayaking and canoing in some pretty heavy stuff, and riding motorcycles.

BTW: Evo, quit moving the smilies around. I know it's you. :uhh:

I saw a picture of the http://www.china.org.cn/english/travel/166833.htm in a magazine.

Can't find the picture on the net.

I can assure you however, that she appeared quit healthy and happy at 120. I don't accept the paradigm that the end of life be miserable and fraught with disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyhunter said:
My grandmother died last Saturday.
Mine died on Thursday.
I'm reminded of a saying - it is harder to live for a cause than to die for one.
I think we all fear death, we just don't grasp its meaning until we really face it. I was really foolish in my younger days.

Last edited:
No! Been close many times.

I would risk/forfeit my life to protect anyone nearby - without hesitation - especially women and children. Hopefully that won't be necessary for some time.

I still have lots of things to do - and I am so far behind - I'll never die. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I still have lots of things to do - and I am so far behind - I'll never die. :biggrin:
Exactly.
See death on its own is meaningless - but when you think about all the things you still have not done - it becomes a little frightening.

No, simply because it won't matter when I'm dead. I'll be dead and there won't be anything I can do about it.

IMO there is nothing to fear its just part of life. Maybe how you die could scare you but just death doesn't scare me becasue like Gelsamel Epsilon said there's nothing you can do.

consciously no, I don't fear death. When faced with survival situations, I try to make choices that will prolong death, but I'm not looking for a way to live forever or anything.

I do fear the apprehension pain and suffering whil I'm still alive though (once you're already suffering though, it's not as bad as the apprehension of knowing it was coming).

As Jimi said "I'm the one who's got to die when it's time for me to die - so let me live my life the way I want to." As a liberal/libertarian independent, I wish I could vote him into office.

turbo-1 said:
As Jimi said "I'm the one who's got to die when it's time for me to die - so let me live my life the way I want to." As a liberal/libertarian independent, I wish I could vote him into office.

lol voteing a dead man into office, couldn't be worse then what we have :smile:
And no, I don't fear death.

Life scares me, death does not.

What's the problem about not being alive? I don't recall it being so bad before I was born.

I did an online life insurance questionnaire and determined that, for my lifestyle and medical history, I can expect to live till about 80, a few years better than average. And that's considering Diabetes.

It comforts me to suppose that I have almost half my natural life yet to live.

DaveC426913 said:
Then you'll start an unnatural one?

Death is one thing I keep putting off. Probably the last thing I'll do. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Then you'll start an unnatural one?
:biggrin:
Of course, I mean barring an unnaturally early death.

DaveC426913 said:
I did an online life insurance questionnaire and determined that, for my lifestyle and medical history, I can expect to live till about 80, a few years better than average. And that's considering Diabetes.

I always wondered, barring any forseeable causes of premature death (family disease, lifestyle, etc), when you sum all of the freak and not-so freak causes of death (stray bullets, car accidents, tumbling down stairs, falling pianos, E. coli spinach, etc) what are the odds that the average, healthy person will die within the day, month, year, decade, etc.

:tongue2:
-GeoMike-

GeoMike said:
I always wondered, barring any forseeable causes of premature death (family disease, lifestyle, etc), when you sum all of the freak and not-so freak causes of death (stray bullets, car accidents, tumbling down stairs, falling pianos, E. coli spinach, etc) what are the odds that the average, healthy person will die within the day, month, year, decade, etc.

:tongue2:
-GeoMike-
[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]

Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle: 1:31,836
Falls of all kinds: 1:246
Fall...from slipping, tripping, and stumbling: 1:6,548
Contact with hot tap-water: 1:64,788
Contact with hornets, wasps and bees: 1:85,882
Narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens]: 1:567
Other and unspecified drugs, medicaments, and biologicals: 1:666
Alcohol: 1:12,188
Intentional self-harm [of all kinds]: 1:121
Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place: 1:47,960
Legal intervention involving firearm discharge: 1:11,433
Legal execution: 1:58,618

Many more:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56611

Yonoz said:
Exactly.
See death on its own is meaningless - but when you think about all the things you still have not done - it becomes a little frightening.

I agree. Fear of death fails to exist. Though, fear of not completing my work before death does exist.

Well of all people that simply said they don't fear death, are you just talking about death after a long life or are you talking about any death (as in a premature death)?

This isn't to say that the fear controls your life or anything, but can you honestly say you don't fear a premature death? I don't know...I find it hard to think that someone isn't afraid of death if they've got something important to lose. I know for sure I'd fear a premature death.

Ivan Seeking said:
[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56611
Why doesn't this add up? All the deaths explicilty list add up to less than 50% of the whole. What deaths are missing?

Diseases? Old age? I would have thought that these are colloquial labels for specific CoDs such as heart disease and cancer etc.

Last edited:
Death happens. Get used to it.

The more common fear is suffering before death.

Blahness said:
Death happens. Get used to it.
Well, I hope to only experience it once, so "getting used to it" might be overkill.

I better be carefull or I'll die from puns.

I voted yes. I greatly fear the untimely death of a person I love very much. I fear dying with unaccomplished dreams. I feel that it is probably one aspect of our life we never really can have any control. The only reason I fear death is that it may take away someone or something I love the most.

I don't fear my own death because I'm convinced I'll live forever. I do fear suffering and pain but then again so do most people. Other than that I'm pretty sure I'm immortal, or was it immoral?