Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you fear death?

1. No

27 vote(s)
  2. Yes

12 vote(s)
  1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Do you fear death? Post your reason. I was inspired to post this by the "Death is...." post.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Who wouldn't fear a skeleton that speaks in SMALL CAPS?
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    Well I just put yes, but I guess it's more a fear of getting old to tell you the honest truth. I see having alzheimers or dementia as being dead and since that is my greatest fear 'yes' seemed the right choice for me.
  5. Oct 3, 2006 #4
    Nope.. just clowns and David Hasslehoffs music.
  6. Oct 3, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

I don't fear death, I fear the numerous ailments and injuries that can come before death. Once quality of life deteriorates to a level that is no longer bearable, death is usually welcomed.
  7. Oct 3, 2006 #6

Gold Member

I fear my it will end before I have managed to accomplish something truly meaningful with my life.
  8. Oct 3, 2006 #7
    I voted no.

I have no fear of dying.

I do not fear living.

I do not fear debilitating illness at the end of my life, because I do not eat the S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) that is responsible for the majority of health problems associated with aging.

My grandmother died last Saturday. She had a long and relatively healthy life. Like most seniors however she was taking a plethora of medications as a result of the diet and lifestyle she lived.

Her passing was painless, she died at home in bed, surrounded by her loved ones. After having a long talk with my father, she went to sleep and never woke up.

Growing old does not mean you must suffer from the diseases that are commonly associated with old age. However the longer one waits to correct their diet, the harder it is for the body to heal itself. However the good news is that the body begins healing as soon as we stop damaging it.
  9. Oct 3, 2006 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone who fears the only certainty in life is surely missing something?
  10. Oct 3, 2006 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I must confess that I dislike the probable fact that I am going to die, and would rather live forever young, healthy and ever-curious, but I can't say I fear death, though..
  11. Oct 3, 2006 #10
    heh, you think that a good healthy diet will buy you a clean death? that just doesnt work this way, when one is in his 90's its most probable that he has a lot of diseases.
    a good diet might increase your chance to live another 20 years, regardless, the last 10 years of your life, will probably not be a very joyful.

eh, about the topic, i dont fear death, though i fear the process leading to it.
    we fear of feeling bad, whether its a mental or physical condition. a dead man, can feel nothing, therefor there is nothing to fear.
  12. Oct 3, 2006 #11

Gold Member

Death is the logical end to life, so what's to fear? That's not to say that I don't take steps to keep from dying unnecessarily. I have never shied away from doing things that I enjoyed, like downhill skiing just in control, white-water kayaking and canoing in some pretty heavy stuff, and riding motorcycles.

BTW: Evo, quit moving the smilies around. I know it's you. :uhh:
  13. Oct 3, 2006 #12
    I saw a picture of the world's oldest person in a magazine.

Can't find the picture on the net.

I can assure you however, that she appeared quit healthy and happy at 120. I don't accept the paradigm that the end of life be miserable and fraught with disease.
  14. Oct 3, 2006 #13
    Mine died on Thursday.
    I'm reminded of a saying - it is harder to live for a cause than to die for one.
    I think we all fear death, we just don't grasp its meaning until we really face it. I was really foolish in my younger days.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  15. Oct 3, 2006 #14

Staff: Mentor

No! Been close many times.

I would risk/forfeit my life to protect anyone nearby - without hesitation - especially women and children. Hopefully that won't be necessary for some time.

I still have lots of things to do - and I am so far behind - I'll never die. :biggrin:
  16. Oct 3, 2006 #15
    See death on its own is meaningless - but when you think about all the things you still have not done - it becomes a little frightening.
  17. Oct 3, 2006 #16
    No, simply because it won't matter when I'm dead. I'll be dead and there won't be anything I can do about it.
  18. Oct 3, 2006 #17
    IMO there is nothing to fear its just part of life. Maybe how you die could scare you but just death doesnt scare me becasue like Gelsamel Epsilon said theres nothing you can do.
  19. Oct 3, 2006 #18

Gold Member

consciously no, I don't fear death. When faced with survival situations, I try to make choices that will prolong death, but I'm not looking for a way to live forever or anything.

I do fear the apprehension pain and suffering whil I'm still alive though (once you're already suffering though, it's not as bad as the apprehension of knowing it was coming).
  20. Oct 3, 2006 #19

Gold Member

As Jimi said "I'm the one who's got to die when it's time for me to die - so let me live my life the way I want to." As a liberal/libertarian independent, I wish I could vote him into office.
  21. Oct 3, 2006 #20
    lol voteing a dead man into office, couldnt be worse then what we have :smile:
    And no, I don't fear death.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?