Do you fear death?

Do you fear death?

• No

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
DaveC426913 said:
I did an online life insurance questionnaire and determined that, for my lifestyle and medical history, I can expect to live till about 80, a few years better than average. And that's considering Diabetes.

It comforts me to suppose that I have almost half my natural life yet to live.
I always wondered, barring any forseeable causes of premature death (family disease, lifestyle, etc), when you sum all of the freak and not-so freak causes of death (stray bullets, car accidents, tumbling down stairs, falling pianos, E. coli spinach, etc) what are the odds that the average, healthy person will die within the day, month, year, decade, etc.

:tongue2:
-GeoMike-

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
GeoMike said:
I always wondered, barring any forseeable causes of premature death (family disease, lifestyle, etc), when you sum all of the freak and not-so freak causes of death (stray bullets, car accidents, tumbling down stairs, falling pianos, E. coli spinach, etc) what are the odds that the average, healthy person will die within the day, month, year, decade, etc.

:tongue2:
-GeoMike-
[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]

Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle: 1:31,836
Falls of all kinds: 1:246
Fall...from slipping, tripping, and stumbling: 1:6,548
Contact with hot tap-water: 1:64,788
Contact with hornets, wasps and bees: 1:85,882
Narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens]: 1:567
Other and unspecified drugs, medicaments, and biologicals: 1:666
Alcohol: 1:12,188
Intentional self-harm [of all kinds]: 1:121
Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place: 1:47,960
Legal intervention involving firearm discharge: 1:11,433
Legal execution: 1:58,618

Many more:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56611

Yonoz said:
Exactly.
See death on its own is meaningless - but when you think about all the things you still have not done - it becomes a little frightening.
I agree. Fear of death fails to exist. Though, fear of not completing my work before death does exist.

Well of all people that simply said they don't fear death, are you just talking about death after a long life or are you talking about any death (as in a premature death)?

This isn't to say that the fear controls your life or anything, but can you honestly say you don't fear a premature death? I don't know...I find it hard to think that someone isn't afraid of death if they've got something important to lose. I know for sure I'd fear a premature death.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56611
Why doesn't this add up? All the deaths explicilty list add up to less than 50% of the whole. What deaths are missing?

Diseases? Old age? I would have thought that these are colloquial labels for specific CoDs such as heart disease and cancer etc.

Last edited:
Death happens. Get used to it.

The more common fear is suffering before death.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Blahness said:
Death happens. Get used to it.
Well, I hope to only experience it once, so "getting used to it" might be overkill.

I better be carefull or I'll die from puns.

I voted yes. I greatly fear the untimely death of a person I love very much. I fear dying with unaccomplished dreams. I feel that it is probably one aspect of our life we never really can have any control. The only reason I fear death is that it may take away someone or something I love the most.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't fear my own death because I'm convinced I'll live forever. I do fear suffering and pain but then again so do most people. Other than that I'm pretty sure i'm immortal, or was it immoral?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Kurdt said:
I don't fear my own death because I'm convinced I'll live forever.
Well good on ya. So far you're batting 1000!

I think almost everyone fears death to some extent. If this was not the case, we would all commit suicide when life hits its rough spots. I think fear has a dual purpose in that it promotes self preservation and keeps us from destroying ourselves and taking unneeded chances. There is a few cases of suicide happening in the animal kingdom. Lemmings run off cliffs in the 4th year of their life and bees kill themselves when they break off a stinger but do these organisms understand death like we do?
RAD