Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you have any beliefs (non-religious)

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    Do you have any beliefs (non-religious) which you feel strongly about but which have not been supported or confirmed by facts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: beliefs

I believe in the evil powers of hoards of street dwelling dentists.

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

I have a belief that the gnomes are rearranging my trays I use to eat my dinner as whenever I pick out 1 of 3 it's always the broken one. I believe that the Universe is fundamentally made up of tiny vibrating fairies too.

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

Lol. I have a hunch this is going to be a short thread.

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5

I'm a skeptic. That means that while most people believe some things that are true and some things that are false, I only believe things that are true.

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

Ah but what is truth? *scratches beard then arse, then strokes beard*

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7

The OP is not asking for your hunches.

9. Jan 28, 2009 #8

Yeah, I only believe things that are true, too...

10. Jan 28, 2009 #9

I used to believe in many conspiracy theories, but realized that it was just my mind that was responding positively to certain thought patterns, such as a crashed spaceship in the desert. Sometimes emotions, or adrenaline was triggered by these thoughts, and I would also seek out external stimuli (such as reading) that fit this thought pattern and reject what was not.

11. Jan 28, 2009 #10

I firmly believe in critical thinking above magical thinking. I've arrived at the conclusion that the former is superior to the latter using critical thinking; which is to say, I believe in critical thinking because critical thinking has led me to conclude that critical thinking is the correct method for thinking about things, which is quite stupid, if you think about it critically.

Do absolute skeptics eventually become vegetables?

of course. there are basic truths that simply must not be questioned!

12. Jan 28, 2009 #11

I believe the man is reading this right now.

13. Jan 28, 2009 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe in you, Santa.

14. Jan 28, 2009 #13

Pfft these Santaists get everywhere, where's your proof. :rolleyes::smile:

15. Jan 28, 2009 #14

I believe that physics is out to get me. Might just be because this has been a slow day, research wise.

16. Jan 28, 2009 #15

But, isn't there a fine line between a hunch and a belief? Some people even elevate their hunches into personal theories when they make comments like, "Here's my theory on why Easy Ride lost the race."

17. Jan 28, 2009 #16

I believe this kind of discussion creates interesting questions, most of which do not have scientific answers. As Frank Herbert wrote in Dune, science doesn't answer the really interesting questions.

18. Jan 28, 2009 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yet, not once, in any of his books, did he ever answer the question about a plane trying to take off from a conveyor belt; nor did he ever answer whether a bullet shot straight up in the air could kill someone when it came back down.

Most importantly of all, none of his books ever answered how long it takes for a stadium filled with 100,000 angry soccer fans equipped with 1 meter square mirrors to boil the blood in a referee's head.

I believe science answers all of the really interesting questions.

19. Jan 28, 2009 #18

Myth busters did the first two, but not the mirror idea. We should submit that one. Science does answer alot of interesting questions.

20. Jan 29, 2009 #19

Speaking of Santa Claus...

I once got yelled at by my fellow grad students for saying that if I ever had kids, I would raise them to disbelieve in Santa Claus and to tell their fellow children at school that Santa doesn't exist. Of course it's just an arbitrary belief, as I've never been to the north pole.

21. Jan 29, 2009 #20

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was once asked at an interview if I had any convictions -
    Well I did use to believe that it was wrong to lie to children about santa claus, but it's not a big deal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?