Do you have any beliefs (non-religious)

• Thread starter runner
  • Start date
In summary: I don't believe that anymore. In summary, the OP believes that there are evil powers at work in the world, and that science can answer all of the interesting questions.
runner
Do you have any beliefs (non-religious) which you feel strongly about but which have not been supported or confirmed by facts?

Physics news on Phys.org

I believe in the evil powers of hoards of street dwelling dentists.

I have a belief that the gnomes are rearranging my trays I use to eat my dinner as whenever I pick out 1 of 3 it's always the broken one. I believe that the Universe is fundamentally made up of tiny vibrating fairies too.

Lol. I have a hunch this is going to be a short thread.

I'm a skeptic. That means that while most people believe some things that are true and some things that are false, I only believe things that are true.

jimmysnyder said:
I'm a skeptic. That means that while most people believe some things that are true and some things that are false, I only believe things that are true.

Ah but what is truth? *scratches beard then arse, then strokes beard*

runner said:
Lol. I have a hunch this is going to be a short thread.
The OP is not asking for your hunches.

Yeah, I only believe things that are true, too...

I used to believe in many conspiracy theories, but realized that it was just my mind that was responding positively to certain thought patterns, such as a crashed spaceship in the desert. Sometimes emotions, or adrenaline was triggered by these thoughts, and I would also seek out external stimuli (such as reading) that fit this thought pattern and reject what was not.

I firmly believe in critical thinking above magical thinking. I've arrived at the conclusion that the former is superior to the latter using critical thinking; which is to say, I believe in critical thinking because critical thinking has led me to conclude that critical thinking is the correct method for thinking about things, which is quite stupid, if you think about it critically.

Do absolute skeptics eventually become vegetables?

brewnog said:
I believe in the evil powers of hoards of street dwelling dentists.

of course. there are basic truths that simply must not be questioned!

I believe the man is reading this right now.

*-<|:-D=<-< said:
I believe the man is reading this right now.

I believe in you, Santa.

Pfft these Santaists get everywhere, where's your proof. :rolleyes::smile:

I believe that physics is out to get me. Might just be because this has been a slow day, research wise.

jimmysnyder said:
The OP is not asking for your hunches.

But, isn't there a fine line between a hunch and a belief? Some people even elevate their hunches into personal theories when they make comments like, "Here's my theory on why Easy Ride lost the race."

I believe this kind of discussion creates interesting questions, most of which do not have scientific answers. As Frank Herbert wrote in Dune, science doesn't answer the really interesting questions.

drankin said:
I believe this kind of discussion creates interesting questions, most of which do not have scientific answers. As Frank Herbert wrote in Dune, science doesn't answer the really interesting questions.

Yet, not once, in any of his books, did he ever answer the question about a plane trying to take off from a conveyor belt; nor did he ever answer whether a bullet shot straight up in the air could kill someone when it came back down.

Most importantly of all, none of his books ever answered how long it takes for a stadium filled with 100,000 angry soccer fans equipped with 1 meter square mirrors to boil the blood in a referee's head.

I believe science answers all of the really interesting questions.

BobG said:
Yet, not once, in any of his books, did he ever answer the question about a plane trying to take off from a conveyor belt; nor did he ever answer whether a bullet shot straight up in the air could kill someone when it came back down.

Most importantly of all, none of his books ever answered how long it takes for a stadium filled with 100,000 angry soccer fans equipped with 1 meter square mirrors to boil the blood in a referee's head.

I believe science answers all of the really interesting questions.

Myth busters did the first two, but not the mirror idea. We should submit that one. Science does answer a lot of interesting questions.

Speaking of Santa Claus...

I once got yelled at by my fellow grad students for saying that if I ever had kids, I would raise them to disbelieve in Santa Claus and to tell their fellow children at school that Santa doesn't exist. Of course it's just an arbitrary belief, as I've never been to the north pole.

I was once asked at an interview if I had any convictions -
Well I did use to believe that it was wrong to lie to children about santa claus, but it's not a big deal.

runner said:
But, isn't there a fine line between a hunch and a belief? Some people even elevate their hunches into personal theories when they make comments like, "Here's my theory on why Easy Ride lost the race."
Oh. I thought you were just going to edit your post to say:
Lol. I believe this is going to be a short thread.
As Roger Rabbit said "Only if it would be funny."

I have a belief, that all the world leaders are conspiring to stop me becoming a millionaire,
every time i get a bit of extra cash the buggers put prices up.

wolram said:
I have a belief, that all the world leaders are conspiring to stop me becoming a millionaire,
every time i get a bit of extra cash the buggers put prices up.

If you're English that would be about April 1st. They reduced VAT here recently to encourage us to spend. That should help a little at least. It's interesting that the best way out of this recession is to not be to thrifty but spend when you have the money, and for businesses to invest. That said many people have been ninja struck by the rising prices so it'll take a lot more to restore confidence. Banks won't lend to business, business lays people off, people worry about job security, people start to save and so on.

I sometimes think it might be best to let nature take it's course like the Torys advocate or let market forces absorb the problem, ie let the banks go bankrupt or get bought out, just like businesses who make stupid decisions do. But perhaps that's not realistic? I can see the logic in that, let businesses consolidate. Banks have massive assets (and are eminently viable and profitable) regardless of their inability to borrow, by drawing them closer perhaps generally the rise in stock prices this causes will lead to more investment and thus to more lending. It's an interesting idea, but risky as hell. I'm not sure the Conservatives were they in power would do what they suggest, ie nothing, but then they have the benefit of proposing other ideas, without the worry of implementing them.

Last edited:

Uncertainty Principle - I believe it is incorrect

1. What do you mean by "beliefs"?

Beliefs refer to a person's thoughts, opinions, or convictions about something. They can be based on personal experiences, values, or knowledge.

2. Do beliefs have to be religious in nature?

No, beliefs can encompass a wide range of topics and do not have to be tied to religion. They can include beliefs about politics, science, morality, or personal values.

3. How are beliefs different from facts?

Beliefs are subjective and can vary from person to person, while facts are objective and can be proven or disproven. Beliefs are based on personal interpretation, while facts are based on evidence and data.

4. Can beliefs change over time?

Yes, beliefs can change as a person gains new knowledge or experiences. They can also be influenced by external factors such as culture, society, or personal growth.

5. Are beliefs important in the scientific community?

Beliefs are not considered as important in the scientific community compared to evidence-based theories and experiments. However, scientists may hold personal beliefs that can influence their research and interpretations of data.