Do you still save hard copies of articles?

In summary: I don't have a lot of storage so I can never find what I'm looking for if I don't have paper copies nearby.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Before the days of fast internet access, I eagerly made copies of interesting technical articles. I even bound them up using "stab binding". However, the way they piled up was a depressing reminder of all the knowledge that I was never going to take time to investigate. Now that the internet is here, I find it much more efficient to only keep electronic copies. When I build a new computer, I copy the articles on saved on the old computer to a DVD. Then I put the DVD away and never look at it. This is much less trouble than using hard copies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Before the days of fast internet access, I eagerly make copies of interesting technical articles. I even bound them up using "stab binding". However, the way they piled up was a depressing reminder of all the knowledge that I was never going to take time to investigate. Now that the internet is here, I find it much more efficient to only keep electronic copies. When I build a new computer, I copy the articles on saved on the old computer to a DVD. Then I put the DVD away and never look at it. This is much less trouble than using hard copies.
Lol. I not only make one electronic copy, I make multiple copies in different places.

Stephen Tashi said:
Before the days of fast internet access, I eagerly make copies of interesting technical articles. I even bound them up using "stab binding". However, the way they piled up was a depressing reminder of all the knowledge that I was never going to take time to investigate. Now that the internet is here, I find it much more efficient to only keep electronic copies. When I build a new computer, I copy the articles on saved on the old computer to a DVD. Then I put the DVD away and never look at it. This is much less trouble than using hard copies.

Hard drive, DVD, pen-drive, dropbox, box.net. Yep.

Number of backups is directly proportional to how important the article is. :cool:

I print off copies of the papers I'm currently using as references, in order to more efficiently look up equations and formulas. As for papers I'm just interested in reading, I use electronic copies.

I much prefer reading paper copies, so I'll usually print out a copy of an article I'm interested in reading thoroughly, that way I can make short calculations and scribble comments etc. I'm not very organized with storage though, so I'll mostly refer to electronic copies when I want to review something I've already read.

Stephen Tashi said:
Before the days of fast internet access, I eagerly made copies of interesting technical articles. I even bound them up using "stab binding". However, the way they piled up was a depressing reminder of all the knowledge that I was never going to take time to investigate. Now that the internet is here, I find it much more efficient to only keep electronic copies. When I build a new computer, I copy the articles on saved on the old computer to a DVD. Then I put the DVD away and never look at it. This is much less trouble than using hard copies.
I make hard copies (printouts) of stuff that I don't readily understand, and often take them with me to reread and ponder while laying down and hoping to eventually go to sleep. :smile:

Last edited:
I try to make a local digital copy of everything that I haven't perused to my satisfaction, with the (perhaps vain) hope that the stuff that I want to get to will still be available on-line when I want to follow up. Such degradation of resources seems to occur slowly, but it does occur.

Stephen Tashi said:

Oh man, I once did that (the stockpiling stuff then never reading it part).. It'll drive you insane if you keep at it!

I keep magnetic copies on file, but I only read paper copies.

1. Why do scientists still save hard copies of articles?

Scientists often save hard copies of articles as a backup in case of technological failures or for easy access when conducting research in the laboratory. Additionally, physical copies can serve as a more reliable source for future reference as online articles may be updated or deleted.

2. How do scientists organize and store their hard copies of articles?

Scientists may use a variety of methods to organize and store their hard copies of articles. This can include creating a physical filing system, using binders or folders, or scanning and saving the articles as digital copies.

3. Do scientists still prefer hard copies over digital copies?

This varies among scientists, but many still prefer hard copies of articles for convenience and ease of access. However, with the advancement of technology, digital copies are becoming more common and are often used in conjunction with hard copies.

4. Are there any downsides to saving hard copies of articles?

One potential downside is the physical space needed to store the hard copies, especially for scientists with large collections of articles. Additionally, hard copies may deteriorate over time and become unreadable.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of the hard copies of articles?

Scientists typically source their hard copies of articles from reputable journals and publishers. They also often cross-check information with multiple sources to ensure accuracy. Some may also annotate and make notes on their hard copies for future reference.