Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you still save hard copies of articles?

1. May 25, 2012 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Before the days of fast internet access, I eagerly made copies of interesting technical articles. I even bound them up using "stab binding". However, the way they piled up was a depressing reminder of all the knowledge that I was never going to take time to investigate. Now that the internet is here, I find it much more efficient to only keep electronic copies. When I build a new computer, I copy the articles on saved on the old computer to a DVD. Then I put the DVD away and never look at it. This is much less trouble than using hard copies.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lol. I not only make one electronic copy, I make multiple copies in different places.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    Hard drive, DVD, pen-drive, dropbox, box.net. Yep.

Number of backups is directly proportional to how important the article is. :cool:

5. May 25, 2012 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I print off copies of the papers I'm currently using as references, in order to more efficiently look up equations and formulas. As for papers I'm just interested in reading, I use electronic copies.

6. May 25, 2012 #5
    I much prefer reading paper copies, so I'll usually print out a copy of an article I'm interested in reading thoroughly, that way I can make short calculations and scribble comments etc. I'm not very organized with storage though, so I'll mostly refer to electronic copies when I want to review something I've already read.

7. May 26, 2012 #6
    I make hard copies (printouts) of stuff that I don't readily understand, and often take them with me to reread and ponder while laying down and hoping to eventually go to sleep. :smile:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  8. May 26, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I try to make a local digital copy of everything that I haven't perused to my satisfaction, with the (perhaps vain) hope that the stuff that I want to get to will still be available on-line when I want to follow up. Such degradation of resources seems to occur slowly, but it does occur.

9. May 28, 2012 #8
    Oh man, I once did that (the stockpiling stuff then never reading it part).. It'll drive you insane if you keep at it!

10. May 28, 2012 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I keep magnetic copies on file, but I only read paper copies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook