Do you suffer from an affective disorder?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date

What mental affective disorder do you have? (or did you have once)

• Psychosis, schizophrenia

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Eating disorder

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Anxiety disorder

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Depression

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Bipolar disorder or other mood disorder

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Autism spectrum disorder (aspergers)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Personality disorder

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • OCD

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • none

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • PTSD

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters
Do you suffer from an affective disorder??

Mental illness is very though to deal with. Most people will just not understand what's going on and think that you're crazy. When you have a broken leg, then people will sympathize with you and help you. But when you have a mental illness, then people avoid you and make fun of you.

I think that this poll might help some people to see that they're not alone. I encourage everybody to post their story. And remember: you are never alone.

As for me: I have OCD, depression and an avoidant personality disorder.

Evo

Mentor
Re: Do you suffer from mental illness??

I suffer from anxiety and OCD.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I've had depression in the past. I didn't realize how debilitating it was until it was gone.

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Does being a physicist count?

Do I have to choose only one or can we select as many as apply?

Do I have to choose only one or can we select as many as apply?
You can choose as many as you want to.

Evo

Mentor

Remember people, aspergers is now listed under autism.

And with all the Service people, battered children and women do we not have PTSD up there? :biggrin:

Evo

Mentor

Ok, who lied and said they had none?

I voted for none. I didn't see it there at first and naturally I assumed that someone was trying to set me up as some kind of nut case. People always are you know. Sometimes when I'm walking, I can feel their eyes on me. When I turn around to see them they hide, but I know they're there waiting for their chance to get me. But then I saw it was the last choice.

Evo

Mentor

i voted for none. I didn't see it there at first and naturally i assumed that someone was trying to set me up as some kind of nut case. People always are you know. Sometimes when i'm walking, i can feel their eyes on me. When i turn around to see them they hide, but i know they're there waiting for their chance to get me. But then i saw it was the last choice.
lol.

Dembadon

Gold Member

I haven't been clinically diagnosed with either, but I put OCD and depression. I can't think of many people I know who haven't been at least mildly depressed at one point in their life. I'm mildly OCD (contrast with Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets).

There are varying degrees to the disorders/illnesses in the poll. Some, if not all, can be life-threatening in their extreme cases.

I put none. I don't think being sad/ slightly deppressed at one point in your life counts as a mental illness if everyone has it. Its obviously another story if you actually are deppressed.

Dembadon

Gold Member

I put none. I don't think being sad/ slightly deppressed at one point in your life counts as a mental illness if everyone has it. Its obviously another story if you actually are deppressed.
I don't understand your reasoning. Would you say, then, that if everyone were to develop some form of psychosis that we should remove it from the list of mental illnesses?

Evo

Mentor

Mentally ill sounds too harsh, what would be a better way of saying it?

Dembadon

Gold Member

SpringCreek

Depression in my teens and twenties.

Anxiety/panic in my thirties.

Now in my forties it's anger.

There are some overlaps and occasional relapses.

It feels like a progression. Depression was the descent. Panic attacks were rock bottom. Anger is the ascent. Anger is the transition from the bad years (which is what I'm angry about) to the more peaceful years of maturity.

I don't understand your reasoning. Would you say, then, that if everyone were to develop some form of psychosis that we should remove it from the list of mental illnesses?

Collins English Dictionary said:
mental illness

— n
any of various disorders in which a person's thoughts, emotions, or behaviour are so abnormal as to cause suffering to himself, herself, or other people
Yes.

Dembadon

Gold Member

Hmm. We won't get far quoting dictionaries; the English language is circular.

Here's Dictionary.com's definition:
mental illness 
noun
any of the various forms of psychosis or severe neurosis.
Here's Merriam-Webster's:
a mental or bodily condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological functioning of the individual—called also mental illness

Here's a more in-depth explanation of mental illness:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mental-illness/#WhaMenIll

We'll probably just have to agree-to-disagree since your opinion of what the criteria for mental illness are differ from mine. I don't believe that something has to be uncommon for it to be an illness.

Last edited:

Neither do I, but I don't think an emotion, or a mild depression that everyone has can be considered an ilness.

Mentally ill sounds too harsh, what would be a better way of saying it?
Damn Crazy, Frigin Nuts, Not In All Day, Elevator Don't go All the Way to The Top, Not quite Right, Special, Has Issues, Rather Treat the Symptoms Than call It a Name, :bugeye: Not Crazy, Just a little more Gentle, Fragile, I don;t think your'e crazy, :tongue2: You will never have to worry about any thing again...., :uhh:
Evo, Do you like any of these? :smile:

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Neither do I, but I don't think an emotion, or a mild depression that everyone has can be considered an ilness.
A cold can be mild, but it's still an illness. In a similar vein, mental illness can be mild.

I can understand not wanting to use the term, though. In a lot of societies, there is a taboo about mental illness.

Evo

Mentor

Damn Crazy, Frigin Nuts, Not In All Day, Elevator Don't go All the Way to The Top, Not quite Right, Special, Has Issues, Rather Treat the Symptoms Than call It a Name, :bugeye: Not Crazy, Just a little more Gentle, Fragile, I don;t think your'e crazy, :tongue2: You will never have to worry about any thing again...., :uhh:
Evo, Do you like any of these? :smile:
Those are great!!

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I don't think so. I'm pretty detached from society and people, which probably keeps me sane (or is an insanity?)